Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Pylon Design Competition

(8 Posts)
Mamie Sat 24-Sep-11 19:34:07

Has anyone else seen the pylon designs from this RIBA competition?

www.ribapylondesign.com/shortlist

I love the one like a sail, but also like the catapult! What do other people think?

Jacey Sat 24-Sep-11 20:11:22

Mmm!! not altogether sure if I want to see some of these striding across the landscape hmm
However ...would quite like the idea of coming across different designs, rather than have the same one every where.
But ...we have enough birds killed already by these things ...the same with wind farms!
Why do they have to be white?

yogagran Sat 24-Sep-11 21:27:46

I know that they're rather intrusive but strangely attractive. I like them

glammanana Sat 24-Sep-11 22:28:27

I like the flower tower and the sail,I think they are attractive and would not mind them being sited off the shore line where we live I find them rather soothing to look at in a strange sort of way.

shysal Sat 24-Sep-11 22:56:50

Agree the flower tower and sail are the most attractive if we have to have pylons at all.

Mamie Sun 25-Sep-11 08:20:07

I think I heard that it costs ten times as much to bury the lines, so I imagine pylons will be around for a bit! I think the current design dates from the 1920s. I hope they use several of them rather than just one, the sail is lovely to look at, but not sure it would be right across miles of countryside.

susiecb Sun 25-Sep-11 10:41:30

I like all these and I find wind farms stranegly beautiful yes even if they were within eyesight of my house. when we were in south afrcia we saw mobile phones masts disguised as trees albeit strange looking ones but they did blend in.

yogagran Sun 25-Sep-11 13:06:28

We have mobile phone masts disguised as trees here in the South East of England too. You'll often see a rather taller tree (usually pine tree shape) amongst the other trees beside motorways and other main roads