Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Apocalypse Postponed

(14 Posts)
Bags Mon 30-Apr-12 06:51:15

I've pinched the the thread title from a news item in the Toronto press. James Lovelock has suddenly got unpopular with climate doomsayers, it seems. He's a fallen angel. Er, no, he's someone who looks at the facts as well as the hypotheses and who is willing to admit he was wrong. A good scientist then.

apocalypse-postponed

whenim64 Mon 30-Apr-12 07:51:58

Good morning Bags - this looks intriguing, but the link only brings up 'page not found.' Tried to Google it, but not sure where to look - it just refers to his book.

Notsogrand Mon 30-Apr-12 08:20:35

Same here when I followed the link.

Bags Mon 30-Apr-12 09:20:36

Ah. Will try again.....

Bags Mon 30-Apr-12 09:23:05

Try this one. This site is another information gathering site. The link to the original works from the article here

gracesmum Mon 30-Apr-12 09:58:43

I thought you just meant it had stopped raining at last! grin

Bags Mon 30-Apr-12 10:02:48

grin

MrsJamJam Mon 30-Apr-12 10:09:30

It hasn't stopped raining here, and it's blowing a hooley as well.

imjingl Mon 30-Apr-12 10:18:48

It's a lovely sunny morning here.

Must get off duff, get washing on, and go for a retail therapy trip walk.

Anagram Mon 30-Apr-12 10:23:45

James Lovelock is my new hero! (And he looks very good for 92! wink)

whenim64 Mon 30-Apr-12 10:54:42

That's a sensible man! I like this comment in the article:

“We cannot turn off our energy-intensive, fossil-fuel-powered civilization without crashing,” Lovelock warns. “We need the soft landing of a powered descent.” Exactly.

Bags Mon 30-Apr-12 12:13:15

And I like this comment in the article: "The problem is we don’t know what the climate is doing,” Lovelock said. “We thought we knew 20 years ago. That led to some alarmist books — mine included — because it looked clear-cut, but it hasn’t happened."

Jacey Mon 30-Apr-12 16:18:00

An interesting article Bags ...perhaps some scientists have also forgotten the term 'hypothesis'! hmm
Liked his nod to scientists who needed to maintain their funding!!shock and hence the way results/observations maybe being used to formulate predictionswink

Oldgreymare Mon 30-Apr-12 20:17:08

Great article. It says all things to all men (and Grans!)
I particularly liked:

'He has broken with the theory of man-made global warming. He still believes it is happening, just not as quickly as he once thought!'

But then I would, wouldn't I? wink