Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Giving up soap

(43 Posts)
Greatnan Mon 15-Oct-12 12:05:50

For many years, I have used only cold water to wash my face. Now, I have decided to stop using any soaps, showers gels, etc. and just rely on having a warm bath every day. I hope this is environmentally sound, it saves money and the bath doesn't get scum round it.
I have not used make up for many years and don't use deodorants or hair sprays. I will continue to use shampoo, but I find a blob the size of a 50-pence piece is sufficient for my short hair. My daughters and gds all fall for the manufacturers' advice to 'rinse and repeat' and use about a palm full each time.
Any comments from our scientists?

picasoflake Fri 04-Jan-13 03:26:09

Live naturally as nature provided every thing to human but technological advancement create humans to use their new developed ways...
One of the best way of face washing is use of lemon with water....and get result in a weak..

Greatnan Wed 24-Oct-12 00:15:33

biker - try mousse!

absentgrana Tue 23-Oct-12 18:05:12

mudskipper Who lives may learn. Thank you.

gramps Tue 23-Oct-12 16:08:11

I only use soap on my hands, and that is "baby" soap.
I've been in Hospital on three occaisions with severe eczema, which I've had since a baby. Fortunately since leaving work at 60 on health grounds, (20 yrs. ago) I now have only small patches which are under control! I use a shower gel, which is ok, providing I don't use too much, or leave it on for too long!

Ella46 Tue 23-Oct-12 15:56:38

Looks like I'll be giving certain large parts of my body an extra soaping now! grin

mudskipper Tue 23-Oct-12 15:50:09

absentgrana, I promise it does. I am/was a chemist. Soap is a salt of a strong base and a weak fatty acid. It is therefore strongly alkaline so it dissolves your skin. Not much, obviously. But that is precisely why it feels 'soapy' and why it stings in your eyes.

Ana Tue 23-Oct-12 15:15:10

grin

bikergran Tue 23-Oct-12 14:23:24

I too do not use soap on my face, can't remember when I did! although of course when your washing your hair some does trickle down your face, I don't use make up (although suppose Im getting tot he satge where a little would help smile I very rarely use hair spray, do use bit of mouse or wax now and then..and so far so good lol..is that how you spell "mouse" doesn't look right hmm

crimson Tue 23-Oct-12 13:31:47

My typing these days is becoming like that bloke in Allo allo. Oh for that edit button sad....

absentgrana Tue 23-Oct-12 10:15:52

I find it difficult to believe that soap dissolves your skin.

mudskipper Tue 23-Oct-12 09:55:52

At risk of getting excessively scientific, may I point out that there is a considerable difference between soap and the various gels now available. The reason that soap feels slippery is that it is alkaline and dissolves your skin. At least you can be sure that the dirt has been removed.

A very different matter, the gel hand steriliser that is outside many hospital departments uses isopropanol as a solvent. What I have not as yet understood about this is that safety data referring to isopropanol says that skin contact should be avoided because it de-fats the skin.

Elegran Tue 16-Oct-12 23:25:14

Live oil? Sounds dangerous.

crimson Tue 16-Oct-12 22:31:59

I used to use the live oil soap they sell in Greece, but I don't go to Greece any more. Buy the honey and beeswax soap from the National Trust. It seems to be quite mild. I itch terribly if I use any sort of bubble bath or shower gel [even Sanex makes me itch] so I'm trying Aveeno at the moment. Use the Forever Living Aloe Vera deodorant stick on a daily basis, but a Mitchum heavy duty one on the rare occasion when I go out somewhere.

johanna Tue 16-Oct-12 21:47:20

We seem to have a problem in the U.K or maybe the EU as well.
Many many toiletries ( cosmetics ) are now made in China.
From very up market products to run of the mill.
Just check the label.
Imperial Leather Soap is now manufactured in Thailand!
It is not the same!

specki4eyes Tue 16-Oct-12 21:35:36

Last year I had a persistent fungal rash on my face - it started around my nose and after trying all sorts of creams to no avail, I went to my doctor. He asked me what soap I used on my face to which I replied, "none". He told me to wash my face night and morning with 'savon de marseille' (a genre of soap readily available in household and toilet form here in France). This I did and the rash gradually went away.
For the rest of me, I would go into a decline if I didn't scrub myself all over every day with Pears soap. I have to buy it in bulk when in the UK, or order it online. I use a stick deodorant just to be confident but my Mum once told me that before the days of Odorono (!) they used to swab their armpits with Milton!

FlicketyB Tue 16-Oct-12 11:17:31

I stopped using soap on my face when I was about 20.I have dry skin and it made it feel tight and go red. I have to be careful what I put on my skin as I get allergic reactions to many products. the main cause seems to be parabens so I use organic paraben free products.

By preference I am a bather rather than showerer so have one every other day and wash my hair at the same time. the half crown(remember them?) size blob of shampoo I use on my hair rinses off and provides all the cleansing power I need in my bath. Wayter where I live is so hard you can throw it in lumps.

vampirequeen Tue 16-Oct-12 10:45:32

I use a minimum amount of stuff due to eczema. My mum spends a bomb on special shampoo and conditioner for grey hair and cleanser/moisturiser etc for older skin. My grandmother swore by domestos..used it to soak her dentures and gave her face a wash in domestos water once a week to give it a good clean. The rest of the time she used carbolic or Sunlight soap.

Ella46 Tue 16-Oct-12 10:32:08

Those large open bowls of olives/soft fruit in supermarkets with spoons to serve yourself, make my stomach churn.

Greatnan Tue 16-Oct-12 06:35:15

Jane - I do wash my hands thoroughly if I visit a public toilet and I have soap at home. I think I have a very strong system as I have visited many tropical countries in pursuit of coral and never fallen prey to the dreaded 'Delhi belly'. Must be down to my upbringing - my mother had a cavalier approach to hygiene.
I avoid any open foodstuffs when I can and would never eat peanuts in a bar or use the salad bar at a restaurant unless I am the first person in the queue. I am not fanatical - just sensible.

annodomini Mon 15-Oct-12 23:50:59

Until my late teens I washed my face only with water. When I went to university, I saw that all my friends used soap whereupon, I started to do the same and I'm sure that it was no coincidence that I then developed the most awful acne which needed some very radical treatment to get rid of it. Those aren't wrinkles you see on my cheeks - they're acne scars. grin

janeainsworth Mon 15-Oct-12 23:17:51

greatnan this article about the amount of faecal matter on people's hands, might make you change your mind about soap, at least for handwashingshock

glassortwo Mon 15-Oct-12 21:50:51

I dont use soap on my face, I wash with water after trying all sort to deal with my menopausal spots as nothing worked I went back to basics and touch wood its seems fine, I have only had the occasional outbreak. I use shower gel and shampoo everyday, but only condition my hair when at the hairdressers. But I do use a tinted moisturiser.

tanith Mon 15-Oct-12 15:50:48

I've been guilty of buying all those mostly useless products but now I stick to basics but I do still anti-perspirant although I think I sweat much less now than when I was younger, have never used a douche I always thought it was a bit daft .

Greatnan Mon 15-Oct-12 15:47:38

I certainly agree that many totally unnecessary products are sold to gullible women - now apparently you need to use beauty cream in your armpit! The worst offenders are those that imply that the vagina is in some way unclean and needs some sort of douche.

goldengirl Mon 15-Oct-12 15:42:33

I use a gentle shower gel and shampoo - no conditioner unless I'm at the hairdressers - and always, always, always anti perspirant! My mother who was a dancer dinned it into me and I wouldn't dream of being without - just in case I got wiffy! I shower every day and exercise once or twice a week and can't stand the smell of BO - the London underground on a crowded train!!!!!!!!