Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Sperm counts down

(69 Posts)
Bags Wed 05-Dec-12 08:31:36

Apparently sperm counts are falling. While I think this needs to be investigated to find out why it is happening, should we really be pleased if human fertility falls a bit? It's not as if, just at the moment, there is any threat to the reproductive success of the species. It seems to me that, given a global population of over seven billion, in general terms reduced fertility might not be a bad thing. Perhaps we have been too fertile up to now.

That said, on an individual level, it would be troubling.

Nothing is ever simple.

Smoluski Wed 05-Dec-12 20:51:22

Do mice buy cheese?

JessM Wed 05-Dec-12 21:10:57

I seem to remember that phthisis was the last word in some reading test or other.

janeainsworth Wed 05-Dec-12 21:12:54

bags jess and nellie I fear you are being facetiousgrin

Here is the link to the research if you really want to know www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16602123.
It should be noted that the mice did not actually have fillings smile but the monomer (very concentrated compared to set filling material) was 'administered' to them each day for 28 days.
So how much we can infer about the risk to human beings from very small amounts of the material being placed in their mouths is a matter of conjecture.
But I think we can conclude that plastics may have biological effects on us.

johanna Wed 05-Dec-12 21:21:27

This is interesting.

Are they talking about sperm count regarding all ethnicities?

Elegran Wed 05-Dec-12 21:21:34

The reading test was one of those open ended ones - a list of words which you just kept reading out until you were told to stop, which I suppose was when you were making a lot of mistakes. They got harder and harder and phthisis could well have been the last one. That was the only one I knew I got wrong, although we were never told. I just read it out as fthisis but it seemed an unlikely word to even exist.

Elegran Wed 05-Dec-12 21:23:05

Come to think of it, I seem to remember the teacher, so I was probably less than 8 - we moved then.

kittylester Thu 06-Dec-12 05:55:05

From my completely non-scientific observations, all fertility seems to be on the decline. I have never known of so many women having problems with becoming and staying pregnant. Each of our daughters has had problems of one sort or another as have many of their friends. Luckily, advances in medical science can solve a lot of the problems that advances in other areas seem to have caused. At the risk of re-opening a closed can of worms - this puts a huge strain on the NHS!

JessM Thu 06-Dec-12 06:08:08

Could be that this is down to starting families later kitty. In our generation it was quite normal to have your kids in early 20s. These days many don't think of it until they are in their mid 30s.

Bags Thu 06-Dec-12 06:29:18

I think age and life choices may have a lot to do with it. I also think we are just more aware of problems nowadays. In the past, people just had to accept infertility. Now there is treatment so people want something to be done, therefore we hear more about it.

Mamie Thu 06-Dec-12 07:22:49

Elegran, it sounds like the Schonell reading test where the last word was metamorphosis.
In my first teaching job, the Head used to test every child in the school individually. Even in the seventies the children used to say canary with the stress on the first syllable, so they had to stop at that point.
There is a nice poem about it, which starts, "tree, little, milk, egg, book - I am in the slow reading group".

JessM Thu 06-Dec-12 08:09:14

And for your GN Geek of the week quiz question - without looking it up - do you know what phthisis is?
I had do look it up at some stage, cos it is certainly not a word any of us are likely to meet in everyday life is it. Great decode the word challenge i suppose. Must try it on GD.

Jodi Thu 06-Dec-12 08:13:22

It's a form of TB isn't it? I didn't google that but will now to see if correct.

Jodi Thu 06-Dec-12 08:15:43

Yes!

absentgrana Thu 06-Dec-12 08:27:00

Elegran Maybe that should have been phthanks. grin

annodomini Thu 06-Dec-12 08:57:41

Canary - I had a mature student who was preparing for the mature student O-level English oral in which she had to report on a book she had read. Her choice? Steinbeck's 'Canary Row'. Good job she practised on me because I put her right and she passed.

Elegran Thu 06-Dec-12 10:53:54

Phthat's probably right absent

gracesmum Thu 06-Dec-12 10:56:58

Sometimes I wonder if I am on the same planet as everybody else.grin
I read the thread title and my first thought was "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1......Geronimo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
confused

Jodi Thu 06-Dec-12 15:09:33

jess where's my Geek of the Week award? wink

Jodi Thu 06-Dec-12 15:12:56

Don't be silly grace sperm can't count grin

Love trying out these emoticons [fbiscuit]

Is it me??? Can't get the fbiscuit one to work....what's with fbiscuit anyway hmm ????

Sorry rambling.....

jeni Thu 06-Dec-12 15:38:46

I did know phthisis actually. But then I suppose I ought to?

Jodi Thu 06-Dec-12 16:02:52

Are you issuing a challenge to my Geek of the Week award jeni?

Yes, you ought to know it, but I bet I know more about axolotls grin

jeni Thu 06-Dec-12 16:43:18

Are they a sort of salamander?

gracesmum Thu 06-Dec-12 16:48:30

Or is it a femininst satement, jeni, "sperm don't count"??

jeni Thu 06-Dec-12 16:49:49

Me or Jodi.

jeni Thu 06-Dec-12 16:53:33

Just googled it. I was right! This is worrying, I'm getting as bad as my son for collecting odd words!