Apparently sperm counts are falling. While I think this needs to be investigated to find out why it is happening, should we really be pleased if human fertility falls a bit? It's not as if, just at the moment, there is any threat to the reproductive success of the species. It seems to me that, given a global population of over seven billion, in general terms reduced fertility might not be a bad thing. Perhaps we have been too fertile up to now.
That said, on an individual level, it would be troubling.
bagsjess and nellie I fear you are being facetious
Here is the link to the research if you really want to know www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16602123. It should be noted that the mice did not actually have fillings but the monomer (very concentrated compared to set filling material) was 'administered' to them each day for 28 days. So how much we can infer about the risk to human beings from very small amounts of the material being placed in their mouths is a matter of conjecture. But I think we can conclude that plastics may have biological effects on us.
The reading test was one of those open ended ones - a list of words which you just kept reading out until you were told to stop, which I suppose was when you were making a lot of mistakes. They got harder and harder and phthisis could well have been the last one. That was the only one I knew I got wrong, although we were never told. I just read it out as fthisis but it seemed an unlikely word to even exist.
From my completely non-scientific observations, all fertility seems to be on the decline. I have never known of so many women having problems with becoming and staying pregnant. Each of our daughters has had problems of one sort or another as have many of their friends. Luckily, advances in medical science can solve a lot of the problems that advances in other areas seem to have caused. At the risk of re-opening a closed can of worms - this puts a huge strain on the NHS!
Could be that this is down to starting families later kitty. In our generation it was quite normal to have your kids in early 20s. These days many don't think of it until they are in their mid 30s.
I think age and life choices may have a lot to do with it. I also think we are just more aware of problems nowadays. In the past, people just had to accept infertility. Now there is treatment so people want something to be done, therefore we hear more about it.
Elegran, it sounds like the Schonell reading test where the last word was metamorphosis. In my first teaching job, the Head used to test every child in the school individually. Even in the seventies the children used to say canary with the stress on the first syllable, so they had to stop at that point. There is a nice poem about it, which starts, "tree, little, milk, egg, book - I am in the slow reading group".
And for your GN Geek of the week quiz question - without looking it up - do you know what phthisis is? I had do look it up at some stage, cos it is certainly not a word any of us are likely to meet in everyday life is it. Great decode the word challenge i suppose. Must try it on GD.
Canary - I had a mature student who was preparing for the mature student O-level English oral in which she had to report on a book she had read. Her choice? Steinbeck's 'Canary Row'. Good job she practised on me because I put her right and she passed.
Sometimes I wonder if I am on the same planet as everybody else. I read the thread title and my first thought was "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1......Geronimo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"