Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Luds Church.

(16 Posts)
Tegan Fri 12-Apr-13 19:18:00

Was watching a programme on BBC4 last night about spiritual places and Luds Church was mentioned. Wondered if anyone had been there? It also mentioned Ripon Cathedral which was absolutely beautiful and I'm annoyed that I was in that area once and didn't visit it. There are so many places that I want to find time to go to when [if] I retire.

janeainsworth Fri 12-Apr-13 19:55:41

I have been there Tegan.
I love that area, where Cheshire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire meet.
It has a quite magical feel I think.

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 20:00:06

I have, Tegan, but a long time ago. It's not so far from here, so when it's a sunny day, I might have a drive out.

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Apr-13 20:08:13

Very near to me, off the A54 along from the Roaches on the Staffs/Cheshire border.

Don't get me started on yet another advert for the glorious Peak District. grin

Tegan Fri 12-Apr-13 20:16:38

A few years ago I had three jobs and a horse to look after and yet managed to go walking in the Peak District every weekend; these days I hardly walk up the lane and back [mind you, weather seemed better back then]. It looks amazing[ mind you; googled it and there was talk of cannibalism shock but not in recent years...

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 20:39:54

Perhaps we could all have a picnic (real not virtual) up there in the summer - if there is one: a Gransnet picnic, how about it?

Tegan Fri 12-Apr-13 21:02:47

Will bump this thread up when we venture forth [it's a bit further north than I'd realised but definately want to see it!].

janeainsworth Fri 12-Apr-13 22:06:18

Great idea Anno
smile

Nelliemoser Sat 13-Apr-13 13:29:25

Good idea. Lud's church itself is damp and gloomy but the top of the Roaches, a long Gritstone edge is lovely in good weather. smile

Tegan Sat 13-Apr-13 13:41:49

The series was called 'Pagans and Pilgrims; Britains Holiest Places'. I've missed the whole series [apart from that one and had to scribble down notes as I knew I'd forget the names of the places the next morning] and, annoyingly I can't seem to use iplayer at the moment. Mind you I have visited one place mentioned which was Ingleby, and all I can rememeber about it was a lot of holes in the hillside sad. But the atmosphere of Lud's Church really came across in the programme.

grannyactivist Sat 13-Apr-13 13:49:12

Just googled Lud's Church - and it's not a church building at all! confused Not too keen on dreary old churches, but this is somewhere that I would be interested in visiting. grin

Nelliemoser Sat 13-Apr-13 14:39:47

grannyA
Not too far from that area in Hollinsclough is the most lovely Methodist Chapel.
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-274252-bethel-chapel-hollinsclough-staffordshir

Its not always open but it is delightful inside. Lovely pews and woodwork for the pulpits and it has a gallery. Not dreary at all.

The church hall opposite does teas and cakes at weekends for the walkers.
from the end of May.

Marelli Sat 13-Apr-13 16:32:35

I'm going to find the programme on i-Player. Was it this week's episode, Tegan?

Marelli Sat 13-Apr-13 18:57:28

Just watched the episode with Lud's Church. It reminds me of a place in North Fife. The area is reached by walking down through a wood and climbing down some roughly hewn steps into a 'dell'. At the top of the steps is a pool which is about 4' deep that is known locally as the Druid's Pool. Adjacent to the steps is a small cliff where Celtic carvings have been cut, and where candles could be and have been placed. Throughout the 'dell', (which has a river running through it), over the years people have hung ribbons, beads etc on tree branches. The whole area feels really peaceful.
I believe that it has been and might still be, an area of Pagan worship, although there is a church close by (often the case).

Tegan Sat 13-Apr-13 19:13:22

Glad you managed to watch it Marelli [wish my iplayer would work again sad]. There's something magical about visiting these places where you can tap into ancient history; I used to walk along St Nectan's Glenn when I lived in/visited Cornwall. There are some Celtic carvings there also. I hope the series will be repeated so I can watch it; there was a book mentioned as well which I'd like to get.

Marelli Sat 13-Apr-13 19:30:35

Tegan, I'm going to watch the rest of them now....DH is watching Britain's Got Talent...hmm!