Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Intro of v interesting new paper wh you can upload pdf if interested

(4 Posts)
whenim64 Sat 27-Apr-13 09:38:18

Thanks Bags smile

Bags Sat 27-Apr-13 08:53:51

The intro about covers the basics. I read it as being a change of focus for the better – responding, adapting if you like, to climate change rather than trying to control or stop it. We can't stop climate change. I think there is also a recognition here that many things affect climate and CO2 has been focussed on too much to the detriment of our understanding.

It's important (more important, I think) to deal with problems people have right now (access to clean water being a prime example; reducing population growth rates by improving people's standard of living, etc), rather than worrying about what might happen, and might not, in fifty or a hundred years' time.

whenim64 Sat 27-Apr-13 08:38:36

Blimey Bags my eyes are revolving in my head after trying to absorb some of that paper! grin I need a degree in climate studies to penetrate it. Could you provide a lay person's explanation, please?

Bags Sat 27-Apr-13 07:40:12

http://pielkeclimatesci.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/r-3651.pdf

We discuss the adoption of a bottom-up, resource-based vulnerability approach in evaluating the effect of climate and other environmental and societal threats to societally critical resources. This vulnerability concept requires the determination of the major threats to local and regional water, food, energy, human health, and ecosystem function resources from extreme events including those from climate but also from other social and environmental issues. After these threats are identified for each resource, then the relative risks can be compared with other risks in order to adopt optimal preferred mitigation/adaptation strategies. This is a more inclusive way of assessing risks, including from climate variability and climate change, than using the outcome vulnerability approach adopted by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). A contextual vulnerability assessment using the bottom-up, resource-based framework is a more inclusive approach for policy makers to adopt effective mitigation and adaptation methodologies to deal with the complexity of the spectrum of social and environmental extreme events that will occur in the coming decades as the range of threats are assessed, beyond just the focus on CO2 and a few other greenhouse gases as emphasized in the IPCC assessments.