Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Getting a little-old-lady voice? Take a tip from singing rats

(13 Posts)
JessM Wed 26-Jun-13 07:21:37

Interesting research on training the older voice box.
Complete with singing rats.
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130624141418.htm

Nelliemoser Wed 26-Jun-13 08:31:43

Interesting that! Get singing before you voice goes. Use it or lose it.

However! I have an image of a choir of rats in black and white belting out the Verdi Requiem. Dies Irae Dies Illa.

Eloethan Wed 26-Jun-13 10:00:41

That's interesting. Singing also increases lung power and, apparently, can help to dispel depression.

Grannyknot Wed 26-Jun-13 10:04:29

Please all the Gods never let me have a little-old-lady voice. Will now watch the video intently.

Grannyknot Wed 26-Jun-13 10:07:47

So it's not a video, it's an article, but there's nuttin' you can't find on the interweb these days: www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSYURntIjuc

JessM Wed 26-Jun-13 11:26:21

Hope I have not offended anyone with the title. I wrote it and then thought better of it. Asked GN to remove so I could try again, to no avail. sad

Grannyknot Wed 26-Jun-13 11:30:44

JessM really?! We're not that sensitive are we? I don't mind being (a) little (b) old and (c) a lady - I just don't want that voice!

Tegan Wed 26-Jun-13 11:53:35

There's also the 'little old lady laugh' which I'm even more concerned about getting. I've become rather aware of it over the past few days [although better to have a little old lady laugh than be a grumpy old so and so who doesn't laugh, I suppose].

janerowena Wed 26-Jun-13 12:26:36

I hadn't thought of losing my voice that way, although it has struck me that people who don't speak often seem to have trouble sorting out their voice boxes and lots of harrumphing takes place. I'm glad I sing now! I want to know what a little old lady laugh sounds like now. All that springs to mind is Brendan wotsit from Mrs Brown's Boys.

I am quite little.
I am quite old.
Not sure about the lady part.
Very willing to learn from rats. One of the best species for survival on the planet. I hope the courting couple were allowed to get together in the end though.

JessM Wed 26-Jun-13 12:48:23

I always remember the queen ma. Nobody had heard her speak for decades and she made a small speech on her 100th. Voice sounded as strong as her daughter does.

Maniac Thu 27-Jun-13 06:10:53

Just hope I never get a voice like Deirdre in Coronation St.

janerowena Thu 27-Jun-13 12:05:18

Dammit, I shall have to break the habit of a lifetime and watch an episode now.

soop Thu 27-Jun-13 12:32:11

Maniac ditto wink