Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Fleas...........or what?

(8 Posts)
numberplease Tue 03-Sep-13 16:45:43

My grandson has just come round to pull up the nettles in the back yard, bless him, but he`s found underneath where they were, some tiny jumping creatures. If they`re fleas, I hope they don`t adhere themselves to him and get in the house!

JessM Tue 03-Sep-13 17:00:31

They are probably something like springtails number - fleas either live on animals or in their bedding or something bedding like - such as a carpet in a fleariddencat house. But usually on animals and then just jump onto another animal.

numberplease Tue 03-Sep-13 23:14:21

I hope you`re right Jess, haven`t seen any in here anyway! In the past we`ve always known as soon as our animals had fleas, I was the only human to be bitten!

thatbags Wed 04-Sep-13 06:51:22

We have those little land shrimps (what I call them) all over the garden, especially under dense vegetation, logs or stones. The hens used to love eating them.

thatbags Wed 04-Sep-13 06:53:15

Lawn shrimps.

Elizabeth1 Wed 04-Sep-13 07:22:28

That's the grass cut once again and in the beautiful sunshine yesterday. Husband was also allowed to trim the huge tree from next door - the part which looks like it will eventually fall into our conservatory. Anyhow the garden is getting tidied up each day where various flowers are now beginning to wither away. I just love oor wee garden it is a haven of beauty (in my eyes anyway). Touch wood haven't been bitten by anything in my whole life. (Except my grandson when he was younger) he he wink Missed you in Edinburgh on Monday Ms bowwoman.

thatbags Wed 04-Sep-13 07:51:51

Thank you, elizabeth1. Hope I can come to the next one smile.

It has been too wet to do much grass-cutting here, plus I've been recovering from cleaning windows (it involves lugging ladders around) and a cold. Might get the scythe out today. Or clean the insides of the windows. Or I might not wink

PRINTMISS Wed 04-Sep-13 07:53:07

We too have been having a tidy up - neither of us is a pretty maids on in a row garden, although I do admire these in other people's plots. We have a corner of our garden which is completely green, with some over-hanging trees, and during this really hot weather has looked and felt like a haven.