Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

"Totalitarian engineering of the planet"

(6 Posts)
thatbags Wed 25-Sep-13 07:43:31

@RogerPielkeJr: Mike Hulme has a new book & he really doesn't like geoengineering calling it "totalitarian engineering of the planet"

deserving Wed 25-Sep-13 08:54:17

I agree, leave well, or not too bad ,alone. Men have seeded clouds,but have not been able to do anything for those areas of drought and famine. Would we help anyone that did not share our opinions? We interfere to much, what ever happened to natural selection, and the survival of the fittest? Another area we have ruined. Don't let them alter the weather we are "doomed" Mr Mainwaring.

janeainsworth Wed 25-Sep-13 09:38:26

Yes. I recently heard Matt Ridley speak at the British Science Festival, and among the many points he made, two that remained with me were that although climate change was happening, it was at a much lower rate than had been predicted.
He also said that within the field of climatology, scientists did not challenge theories in the way they did in other fields because of political pressure.

deserving Fri 27-Sep-13 10:37:21

Another statement on global warning, some corrections to the lies printed, and the incomplete investigations made.The subject is so complex that these new results are probably based on biased, and incomplete investigations. Nice to have your name associated with a "paper"however.Am surprised that this post has not attracted more attention. I am not saying that the opinions, and that is all they are, are not in some way relevant, they may be. The subject has not been investigated to the extent that is required to say without fear of contradiction, that we are the main causes of global warming. And by WE I don't mean GN.
Regarding political pressure, it is a very short term thing that politicians involve themselves with on the scale of this subject, they will be long gone, and have been much richer, by the time the effects of their interference is manifested.They,and others like them, have a greater effect on climate change than almost anything WE do.
My earlier remarks on survival of the fittest were related to the interference with natural processes that we are constantly attempting to manipulate,many times to good effect,but often with questionable results. Lives are being saved that rightly should not. Harsh though it may sound some are just not meant to survive to pass on defects that dilute the stock, natural selection is there for a reason.
Has anyone noticed what is happening with our "moggies"they are being nurtured,as they should be, are being neutered, and so good cats are not producing. It is mainly the uncared for cats that are breeding, and a wealth of feral cats are taking their place.I suppose that this is survival of the fittest, in a way that our engineering didn't really envisage?

Jendurham Fri 27-Sep-13 17:46:21

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ipcc

This is scary, too.
Survival of the fittest means most suitable in that particular environment, so perhaps feral cats really are the most suitable when man disappears after he has globally warmed the planet by using up all the fossil fuels we have found.
Is there also not an analogy here between cats and people?
Too many people have to have help to have children these days. When we were younger we had to have help to stop having them!

Jendurham Fri 27-Sep-13 17:46:42

www.theguardian.com/environment/ipcc