Sympathy Tanith
I nearly started a thread yesterday entitled 'Why I Hate the Countryside' - not areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, like Northumberland or the Lake District, which generally welcome walkers and visitors and provide helpful directions, but boring counties like Staffordshire which not only couldn't care less but actually seem to resent anyone with the temerity to venture over their borders.
I was staying with DD1 for a few days and as DGD was at nursery on Wednesday I decided a brisk walk would burn off a few calories.
Armed with the OS 1 inch map I set off and the first 3.5 miles along a disused railway between Stafford and Newport were uneventful.
The trouble started when I reached the end of a lane, expecting to find a footpath/right of way, as shown on the map. I struggled through thigh-high nettles and brambles before reaching the next bit of road.
The next stage was to go down said lane to a farm, before finding another path that would take me across the fields and back home to DD's house.
Leaving the lane by the footpath sign-post, I had to plodge through thick mud to get to the field, only then to find it fenced off with what looked suspiciously like an electric fence.
No choice but to retrace my steps through the mud and then walk about a mile and a half down the main road back to the village - the road verges uncut and completely unsuitable for pedestrians, I had to cross the road several times just to avoid overgrown shrubs and trees.
Apologies to any Staffordshire GNs
A lot to be said for nice urban parks 