Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Stuff of the universe

(7 Posts)
thatbags Wed 02-Oct-13 14:12:06

@Cmdr_Hadfield: Good Morning! What's the universe made of? Stars/planets/dust/us 5%, dark matter 27%, dark energy 68%. (ChartsBin) t.co/CXLwfQQD4R

Elegran Thu 03-Oct-13 11:23:16

That does quash any thoughts that the universe is specifically tailored to suit us.

Jendurham Thu 03-Oct-13 11:32:35

Yes, but it's still comforting for the grandchildren to go outside and look at the stars and try to decide which one is Grandad. For me, as well.

Elegran Thu 03-Oct-13 11:40:55

We all came from stardust and return eventually to it, Jen as our atoms and molecules blend in with the rest.

MiceElf Thu 03-Oct-13 12:16:24

Remember man that thou art dust, and unto dust thou shalt return.

Iam64 Thu 03-Oct-13 12:31:41

I lacked any science ed after the age of 14, and have always felt science is something beyond my understanding. I know, I know, but I'm more interested in dogs, gardening, walking etc. But - I loved reading Philip Pullman's Northern Lights trilogy, all those references to dark matter and energy - it rings my mystical bells. I don't like the way he is both dismissive and anti faith - but he writes a great story which encouraged me to try and understand a bit more about life, the universe and everything

Battymum Fri 18-Oct-13 20:04:43

is there logic and a point to this discussion? What 'stuff of the universe' are we discussing? Count me in!