Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Squirel opening asda doors!

(23 Posts)
shysal Wed 05-Feb-14 08:30:27

This photo cheered me up this morning.
home.bt.com/news/latestnews/nutty-red-squirrels-steal-spotlight-11363873248661

Deedaa Sun 13-Oct-13 15:09:58

In Kensington Gardens you pretty much get mobbed by the squirrels who expect every bag and pocket to be full of food. It does worry me when I see people encouraging small children to feed them though. I've been on the receiving end of enough bites to know what a mess they could make of a small hand. It's one of the few occasions when I will intervene.

Flowerofthewest Sat 12-Oct-13 19:02:43

We have a lady locally who regularly feed the squirrels in our local common. The problem is any person who sits on the bench she used to off load the nuts etc has their bag, camera bag, shopping bag investigated by the local mob.

Enviousamerican Sat 12-Oct-13 18:37:56

My OH and I were staying at a old hotel in Arlington Va. With lots of wooded grounds.We started buying and leaving nuts out for the squirrels.Once getting out of our car a squirrel ran up to us and looked at us like...where are the nuts? It was surprising because we had never stayed around feeding them,we just left nuts on the ground.I really felt bad because we were empty handed!

Deedaa Sat 12-Oct-13 18:24:54

I had a pet squirrel that I bottle fed gracesmum and he was VERY cuddly. Admittedly he did bite me several times, but it was always my fault. We had him for about 11 years and used to go out and collect bags of acorns for him every autumn. He loved mushrooms, ice cream and spoonfuls of tea. The sad thing was that we were never able to set him free because it was illegal. Still, he wouldn't have got his tea and ice cream out in the woods smile

Flowerofthewest Thu 10-Oct-13 23:42:01

Isn't he cute wink

Aka Thu 10-Oct-13 23:38:24

So why are harmless cuddly ickle squirrels lumped in with rats as vermin? confused

Flowerofthewest Thu 10-Oct-13 23:33:44

Do birds have nuts? wink gracesmum, ummm! is Grace a cat? hope so.

No the black squirrels behaviour is exactly like the grey. It is a grey. A pair of grey in this area could have a black baby or two blacks could give birth to grey and often a mixture. Blacks and greys do pair and also can have a combination of black/grey. The Black isn't black,black it is a very very dark brown which looks black.

gracesmum Thu 10-Oct-13 23:26:44

I can't argue that I entirely agree they are highly entertaining nor can I explain the gut reaction that a) squirrels are cute but b) Eek!!! there's a rat! I think Beatrix Potter has a lot to answer for!
Grace loves squirrels but they stay well out of reach on high up branches. Doesn't stop her trying though! Her predecessor caught one once and buried in the garden for later shockshock

Ana Thu 10-Oct-13 23:22:09

Crossed posts - I think we agree! smile

Ana Thu 10-Oct-13 23:21:18

Oh, I agree that they look cuddly, Flower, we have grey ones in our garden and it's wonderful to watch their antics especially when they're trying to get at the bird nuts!

But they only look cuddly and cute - that was my point. Surely the black variety isn't essentially different in nature to the others?

Flowerofthewest Thu 10-Oct-13 23:21:15

I was joking gracesmum, Natural History is my second name. It is my way of life. I would never cuddle any wild animal - ever. No one should. No I am not a vegetarian. I eat little lambs, piggies, cows and free range chickens. I try to eat 'happy' meat though - Still like squirrels, love to watch their behaviour. I adore British Wildlife especially and glory in all of the native animals - although the Grey were introduced I still like them. Pests though they are. smile

My DDH met through Natural History, he was Head of NH for North Hertfordshire and Countryside Officer. I bathe in his reflected glory wink

Flowerofthewest Thu 10-Oct-13 23:17:11

No need to cuddle on Ana. Just love observing their behaviour. My DDH is a Black Squirrel expert. You may have seen him on Natural History programs which have focussed on the Black Squirrel. Just a bit of name dropping here.[wubj] meant wink Thats what comes from touch typing when tired. xxx

gracesmum Thu 10-Oct-13 23:16:56

They look very attractive in the wild and even in our gardens and if you are lucky enough to have red squirrels even better. But especially the greys are vermin - they are not I repeatnot cuddly nor indeed should you ever try to cuddle one! Fox cubs are cute, badgers are cute (now that's contentious) but we have become so conditioned by animal-shaped cuddly toys in our childhood that we forget that a wild creature is just that.
Also lambs and calves are cute, chickens are cute, piglets are bundles of fun (?) - I assume you are a vegetarian?

Ana Thu 10-Oct-13 22:53:59

Have you every tried cuddling one, Flowerofthewest? grin
I believe they have a very nasty bite...

Flowerofthewest Thu 10-Oct-13 22:51:10

Black Squirrels

Flowerofthewest Thu 10-Oct-13 22:48:30

I love squirrels gracesmum sad We have the Black variety in our locality. They are melanic Greys but are beautiful. They are not at all rats but lovely cute cuddly creatures. Mind you they are a pest to the native Red. So you can call them vermin if you like grin

Ceesnan Thu 10-Oct-13 18:45:43

DH says that squirrels are rats with good P.R. smile

bikergran Thu 10-Oct-13 18:26:16

just hope it has been caught ! and not contaminated the foodstuff! think I shall buy only tinned goods for a while grin

gracesmum Thu 10-Oct-13 17:05:33

Sweet? Squirrels, with apologies to Squirrel Nutkin, are vermin - rats with tails. How cute would we find a rat scampering round Asda or even Waitbury's?

j08 Thu 10-Oct-13 17:00:36

I hope all the packs of nuts haven't been gnawed through! grin

shysal Thu 10-Oct-13 15:56:04

How sweet. At my local Asda there was a family of ducks which walked into the store.

bikergran Wed 09-Oct-13 19:16:01

Didn't see it myself but! lady at GS school.had just been to Asda.she was walking up to the automatic doors ..when this squirrel! ran past her..went up to the doors! and banged both hands/paws on the doors...it took 3 attempts for the doors to open!! it then ran inside!... she said people just stood and watched it bang on the doors..lol lol it must have done it before!! sooooooo no idea where the squirrel is now! shock