Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Panda pregnancy

(13 Posts)
Elegran Tue 15-Oct-13 10:05:36

You heard it here first . . .

" Statement

Experts at the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland can now confirm that they no longer believe Edinburgh Zoo’s female giant panda, Tian Tian, is pregnant. All of her hormonal and behavioural signs now indicate that she had conceived and carried a foetus until late term, but then lost it.

Chris West, Chief Executive Officer for the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland said:

“We are all saddened by this turn of events after so many weeks of waiting. Timings are difficult to pinpoint at this moment, but we had a meeting this morning where Tian Tian’s behaviour and hormone results were reviewed and have come to the conclusion that it is very likely she has lost the pregnancy.

“Up until now, Tian Tian has consistently shown signs of pregnancy – she passed a mucus plug around mid-September and began producing colostrum. She also experienced a prolonged secondary-rise in progesterone. However, the veterinary team has noticed a significant decline in the amount of colostrum being produced and over the last few days she has returned to the normal eating and behavioural patterns of a non-pregnant panda.

“Such a loss has always been in our minds as a very real possibility, as it occurs in giant pandas as well as many other animals, including humans. Our dedicated team of keepers, veterinary staff and many others worked tirelessly to ensure Tian Tian received the best care possible, which included remote observation and closing the panda enclosure to visitors to give her quiet and privacy. We are conducting a detailed review of the scientific data collected, but I am totally confident that we did everything it was possible to do. I would like to thank our Chinese partners the China Conservation and Research Centre (CCRCGP) and the China Wildlife Conservation Association (CWCA), as well as our international science colleagues for their support and guidance throughout this period.

“The majority of research centres and zoos with giant pandas around the world have not successfully bred until the third or fourth year and what we have achieved considering we have had giant pandas for less than two years is immense. New hormone research is beginning to indicate that lost pregnancies are more common in giant pandas than first thought, though at the moment no one knows why.

“We are working as part of a global giant panda conservation programme and will continue to work closely with our international colleagues. The research and work we do here goes towards better understanding giant panda biology, education and conservation in the wild, as demonstrated by the Giant Panda Research Symposium held here in September and the Jaguar Land Rover China partnership in education. Giant pandas are brilliant ambassadors for other endangered species like Scottish wildcats, basking sharks, bumblebees and butterflies. We exist to safeguard species from extinction. We will carry on and are confident we will succeed.

“The panda enclosure will remain closed until the end of the week, in order to give Tian Tian time to get back into her routine and provide her keepers with the chance to recuperate after this long period of waiting.”

wisewoman Tue 15-Oct-13 10:30:46

Will have to listen to PM tonight. I don't know if anyone else has been giggling at the regular spot where there are updates on the Possible Panda Pregnancy! They are very amusing Each time Eddie says "there is no news". Tonight there will be!

annodomini Tue 15-Oct-13 10:35:22

How sad for the keepers who've been anxiously waiting for this event. Did anyone read this article in which Chris Packham argues for certain species, including the giant panda, to be allowed to become extinct?

Elegran Tue 15-Oct-13 12:40:45

He has a point! I think the value of the pandas is as a "poster animal" They are so recognisable and interesting that they catch attention, and focus thoughts on how habitats can be destroyed, vulnerable animals left with nowhere to go and no way to meet up with mates, and become rare and then extinct.

The danger is that the less spectacular creatues in just as much danger are invisible, but vanish just as fast.

Tegan Tue 15-Oct-13 12:49:40

I was just about to say something similar.If they looked like naked mole rats they would have died out years ago. I don't know how much of their demise is due to humans taking over their environment, though; if that is the case then we should, from a moral point of view help them. But they are unbelievably cute. I saw a programme late the other night about a similar creature in Canada [marmots;there are only 30 lof this particular species left in the wild] and they were cute also, but so slow and dopey that predators just eat them.

petallus Tue 15-Oct-13 12:50:19

I have not read the article you mention annodomini but I do feel uncomfortable at the impregnating of an animal by artificial means when it will not mate of its own accord because the conditions in which it lives are not good enough.

petallus Tue 15-Oct-13 12:50:39

Have you got a link to the article?

Elegran Tue 15-Oct-13 12:53:25

Petallus The link is in Annos post, in blue.

Elegran Tue 15-Oct-13 12:59:25

The female Panda was pretty keen to mate last year, but the male was not ready, so she was disappointed. This year he was keen but I reckon she had memories of last year and was not enthusiastic about the whole performance. The AI was for belt and braces, and the cub could have been either from this male or from the AI donor.

She showed all the signs of being pregnant, even to producing colostrum and being irritable, but has apparently re-absorbed the foetus. That is quite common in the wild too, it seems.

petallus Tue 15-Oct-13 13:01:08

Thanks, interesting point of view.

petallus Tue 15-Oct-13 13:02:05

Article and thanks Elegran for the info which I did not have.

Elegran Tue 15-Oct-13 13:33:53

I have actually just come back from the zoo and the obligatory pressmen were all over the place, setting up furry sound booms and filimg presenters blethering into them with various emclosures in the background - the panda one is out of baounds at the moment.

(I was taking some old woollen blankets to the Budongo chimp exhibit, where they give them all kinds of stuff as enrichment to keep them alert and interested - apparently a previous blanket they were given went down extremely well, with them fighting for a place to sit on it, carrying it about about, etc for weeks. Usual interest time in something new is a couple of days.)

Elegran Tue 15-Oct-13 13:34:36

Keyboard is making a lot of mistakes today.