Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

It is not all bad news

(9 Posts)
FlicketyB Fri 08-Nov-13 07:59:34

[http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24836917]

We have so many doom laden environmental threads. Here is one that is more optimistic

FlicketyB Fri 08-Nov-13 14:35:29

Why this link will not work I do not know. I have tried again without any success. Obviously Gransnet is for bad news only!

thatbags Fri 08-Nov-13 15:16:13

Here it is

You need double square brackets to make links work.

janeainsworth Fri 08-Nov-13 15:46:53

Interesting Flickety, I will try to watch the programme on iPlayer.
I heard Matt Ridley speak a couple of months ago and he also said that the population would stabilise, and that the most important factor in population control was the education of women.

FlicketyB Sun 10-Nov-13 14:12:48

thatbags I thought I posted an acknowledgement and thanks yesterday but it didn't arrive at its destination (this thread) so I will repeat them. I was idle, instead of checking how to do it, I just remembered and remembered incorrectly.

thatbags Sun 10-Nov-13 14:36:09

smile

carboncareful Mon 11-Nov-13 22:01:53

Population won't be a problem for much longer. Climate change will take care of all that nonsense:

The head of the Philippines delegation at UN climate talks in Poland has said he will stop eating until participants make "meaningful" progress.

In an emotional speech, Yeb Sano linked the "staggering" devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan to a changing climate.

Mr Sano said he was speaking on behalf of those who lost their lives in the storm and his fast would last until "we stop this madness".

His speech brought tears to the eyes of other delegates and a standing ovation.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
What my country is going through as a result of this extreme climate event is madness”
End Quote
Yeb Sano

Philippines climate negotiator

Mr Sano said the typhoon had made land near his home area, and he had just had word that members of his family had survived.

Climate madness

At the opening of the two-week Conference of the Parties (Cop), Mr Sano said he was not just speaking for those who lost their lives but for the thousands who were now orphans.

He told the meeting he would refuse to eat until progress is made.

"In solidarity with my countrymen who are struggling to find food back home, I will now commence a voluntary fasting for the climate, this means I will voluntarily refrain from eating food during this Cop, until a meaningful outcome is in sight."

"What my country is going through as a result of this extreme climate event is madness, the climate crisis is madness. We can stop this madness right here in Warsaw," he said.

Faye Tue 12-Nov-13 00:09:07

I would like to be more optimistic, that is my nature but I think we still have an increase of population before it starts to decrease. here is a link from the UN advising to prepare for an increased population in 2050 around the time our grandchildren are getting older.

FlicketyB Tue 12-Nov-13 07:38:47

which is what this article says.