Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Shock, horror!

(9 Posts)
annodomini Thu 09-Jan-14 19:27:45

This may come as a surprise, but it seems that all those expensive anti-bacterial products could be a waste of our cash.

Soutra Thu 09-Jan-14 19:48:16

Not even just a waste of cash - positively harmful!

Anne58 Thu 09-Jan-14 19:50:40

Would love to show this to that dreadful mother & daughter on the obsessive cleaning programme.

Lona Thu 09-Jan-14 19:52:52

Just as well that I've never bothered with them then. [smartarse]

thatbags Thu 09-Jan-14 20:07:48

Another smartarse here. Not in the least surprised by this news.

annodomini Thu 09-Jan-14 20:20:53

I never used them either, just thought that the article might make some users think again, though

Penstemmon Thu 09-Jan-14 20:59:15

Soap and water! smile

JessM Thu 09-Jan-14 21:09:11

Good for the FDA and about blooming time. As I posted earlier on another thread and quite co-indicentally - look at the labels on your toothpaste and deodorant as well. The manufacturers have done a brilliant job of selling their chemical into all kinds of product lines.
And all that "kills 99.99% etc" - they never say (or will release the info) what this actually means - kills the 99.99% of harmless ones leaving the really lethal ones behind maybe? Or how long or in what circumstances "kills 99.99% of bacteria on a petri dish after 24 hours" perhaps? We just don't have that info available.
And of course bleach kills 100% of bacteria very quickly.

FlicketyB Thu 09-Jan-14 22:56:06

Time and again manufacturers and others take something that works well in one environment, like a hospital, and assume what is good for a hospital is good for everybody and use it in situations where it isn't effective and has unforeseen consequences, like causing anti-biotic resistance in bacteria and passing through the environmental layers to algae and then building up to dangerous levels in animals higher up the food chain that we may eat.