Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Otters in the middle of town

(18 Posts)
Aka Sun 04-May-14 22:33:00

Saw an otter family in Bourton-on-the-Water just a couple of weeks ago.

granjura Sun 04-May-14 21:37:05

Otter hunting in the UK was banned (thank goodness) in 1978.

granjura Sun 04-May-14 19:37:53

hopefully without the otter hounds shock

tiggypiro Sun 04-May-14 19:35:21

I remember watching the Otter Hounds hunting on the river Tees - this would have been in the early 60's. Hopefully they are back on the river now.

granjura Sun 04-May-14 19:34:50

Lovely bimbadeen- otters were on their was back to West Leics when we moved here- but very elusive. I remember one evening talk for the Leicestershire Badger group about the return of the otters. I always lived on the other side of town- but love Aylestone Meadows smile

bimbadeen Sun 04-May-14 17:23:57

granjura we have otters back on The Meadows in Aylestone, Leicester we have the river and canal running parallel , and the water is clean enough for them to live, also have Muntjac deer living there contact Adrian Lane LCC for more info.

AMAS on internet are a group who try to keep the area clean of litter and run activities, worth a look at their site..

newist Tue 11-Feb-14 20:13:28

I am fortunate to live where there are many otters, It is a joy to watch them playing in the seaweed and bringing a catch ashore, then sitting on the rocks to eat it.

granjura Tue 11-Feb-14 20:00:58

Well I'd much rather cull the anglers- grrrrr (:

Mishap Tue 11-Feb-14 19:45:22

I was very excited to have achieved a close-up photo of an otter once when I was holidaying in France, only to come home and be told it was a mink! I still think it was a good photo!!

nightowl Tue 11-Feb-14 19:30:18

But many anglers are already calling for them to be culled I'm afraid. It will only get worse as they grow in numbers sad

whitewave Tue 11-Feb-14 19:07:17

One of my favourite animals, they are here in the South East in a number of rivers. They are protected so hopefully they are safe.

JessM Tue 11-Feb-14 12:52:47

We should thank the environment agency for making sure the rivers are so much cleaner these days grin

Galen Tue 11-Feb-14 12:08:43

I'd like to see beavers as well!

rosesarered Tue 11-Feb-14 11:35:22

Only ever seen otters in the wild in Scotland[that was a long time ago.] Nice to know that they are doing well in England too.The rivers are so much cleaner now.granjura maybe they like KFC? grin

Galen Sun 26-Jan-14 12:37:42

Apparently we have them in Bristol as well

nightowl Sun 26-Jan-14 11:57:29

They are indeed beautiful animals. I can't help wondering though, now they are increasing in numbers, how much longer it will be before they start to be seen as 'pests' again and are no longer protected. After all, it was not that long ago we hunted them almost to the point of extinction in this country.

Flowerofthewest Sun 26-Jan-14 11:24:37

How wonderful for you granjura beautiful animals and how lucky you were.

granjura Sun 26-Jan-14 11:23:33

... going to Argos the other day, I noticed people looking down at the river Welland from the footbridge. And there- of the shopping centre (Market Harborough), were 2 otters playing, fishing, petting ... it was just wonderful. I went back the next couple of days and had the joy of watching them again. What a treat- and great to know the waters are clean enough for them. Despite the odd shopping trolley and the disgusting litter from the KFC next to the river.

Last time I saw otters was in Mull, and at the otter sanctuary in Norfolk- but that was just so unexpected- loved it smile