Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

RSPB Birdcount.

(43 Posts)
durhamjen Mon 27-Jan-14 17:12:10

Did anyone else do it this weekend?
Hopeless this year. Only seven birds in an hour. However, at least Spring could be on the way as there were three pairs, blackbirds, sparrows and woodpigeons. One solitary bluetit and that was it. Usually see at least a dozen sparrows. It was raining most of the time, but I tried for another hour later on when it had stopped, and there were even fewer birds.

whitewave Wed 19-Feb-14 12:04:38

Yes I usually get it from the RSBP being a supporter, but I bought 2 of their large bags something like 12 KG at the beginning of Jan costing £45 odd and have enough left for 2 more fill ups. so that is about say 6 weeks about nearly £7 per week seems excessive.

durhamjen Tue 18-Feb-14 23:18:58

I keep getting emails from the RSPB, telling me they have 20% off birdfood until 3rd March.
Not sure how cheap that makes it. The diy shop in the village sells 3 kg. for a fiver.
I'm afraid even my birds get vegetarian birdfood. I cannot bring myself to buy the bags with mealworms in, or suet. However, I do get lots of goldfinches.

annodomini Tue 18-Feb-14 23:06:02

I was surprised to see two jackdaws clinging on to the fat ball container and pecking off big chunks. However, I don't think they liked it much because I haven't seen them since. I find the pound shop seed is at least as acceptable to the fussy birds as the more expensive stuff from the garden centre.

whitewave Tue 18-Feb-14 22:02:15

Yes that is the trouble with cheaper seed. I have hundreds of pigeons (well not hundreds) loads that come down so that is why I just use feeders now but the blighters cling on eating out of the small holes. I put out some niger seed for chaffinches about 3 weeks ago not one taker as yet

Tegan Tue 18-Feb-14 20:26:17

They sell huge bags of birdseed at out local pet shop, but I'm not sure what the quality is like [I read that cheaper food is only really ok for the pigeons]. Don't like storing too much birdseed though, as it was the seed that attracted mice into the house the other year. Wilkos [one of my favourite shops] had a huge selection of bird seed the other seek, but I didn't notice the price [although, being Wilkos I'd imagine the price will be quite competitive]. Was surprised to hear that birds like grated cheese, but they're wolfing it down at the moment, along with the apple peel and cores that I put out for them.

whitewave Tue 18-Feb-14 18:10:35

Has anyone sourced a cheap but good quality bird seed? I know the two are contradictory but I live in hope! My birds cost me a small fortune I have two large feeders and one little apple and fill them every day and a half.

JessM Tue 18-Feb-14 10:17:58

We don't have a garden. Sometimes see flocks of sea birds or individuals heading up or down the Straits. Now know how to recognise a curlew on the wing smile They do look whacky with those great long curling bills stuck out in front.
One day in the autumn there was flock after flock of small birds going past and I thought that we are quite likely on a migratory route for some species - a sheltered and very obvious route around Snowdonia.
Behind us is a big retaining wall with bushes behind it at eye level. Saw long tailed tits out of the window the other week. Last wednesday in the storm there was a poor song thrush just standing on the wall for many hours waiting for it to stop.

Galen Tue 18-Feb-14 10:00:32

Just seen long tailed tits in the garden. Also had a wren yesterday, haven't seen one of those for years. Lovely!

soop Sun 09-Feb-14 13:25:21

broomsticks grin

broomsticks Sat 08-Feb-14 16:55:36

soop There was an article in the paper a while back about crows using tools and how intelligent they are.
Unfortunately the headline said 'Cows can use tools'.
In their hooves presumably grin

Granny23 Wed 05-Feb-14 17:18:35

We had intended to do the survey again, having completed it for the last few years but on the day it was stair-rodding down and being sensible, the birds stayed under cover. We could hardly see out the kitchen window anyway - think we need windscreen wipers there. hmm

soop Wed 05-Feb-14 16:16:49

I almost forgot to add the lady pheasant. She is a regular visit to our diner. wink

nannyfran Wed 05-Feb-14 13:58:33

We also have several squirrels who eat the peanuts. When our dog was alive she used to chase them off but we tolerate them now as they have eaten, not only eggs, but young swallows in nests in the past. Sid, one of our cats, caught one recently, I was quite impressed as he's not in the first flush of youth!(Squirrel, not swallow)
I didn't do the survey, but we have a very varied selection of birds as we live in the country and feed them each day. The Starlings seem to be increasing this year, having been very scarce for some time.

soop Wed 05-Feb-14 12:52:04

We have far too many tits and chaffinches visiting our garden to count. Blackbirds, thrush, tree creeper, wren, crows. I'm going off at a tangent shock horror, but did anyone watch the programme on television about animal/bird behaviour? Crows/ravens/rooks [corvus] are highly intelligent creatures. We were amazed to witness their complex problem solving skills.

annodomini Wed 05-Feb-14 12:19:14

We have flocks of jackdaws here, but not that day. I think they are in a huff with me because I had them evicted from my chimney a few years ago.

broomsticks Wed 05-Feb-14 11:08:57

I think squirrel's eat birds' eggs don't they but apart from that are no threat.
I did the garden count. No very exciting birds though. I'm fond of our pair of jackdaws and the blackbirds. There are only three that I've seen which isn't good! Lots of sparrows too and the usual plague of pigeons.

Rowantree Wed 29-Jan-14 09:51:51

We didn't do it - I did think about it but we were otherwise engaged. Am very interested in the results though. We have a garden in good old Suburbia, backing onto a small area of woodland. It's fairly untidy and I've planted it with lots of native plants to attract wildlife. We have an overgrown pond which needs clearing out. Everything a bird might want, you might think, but that's why we are totally mystified that we don't get many species of bird visiting. We get tits, blackbirds, robins, crows now and then, magpies, wood pigeons, the odd lesser spotted woodpecker - but no sparrows, thrushes and I can't remember when we last saw starlings! What are we doing wrong? We put out food for birds in different areas of the garden. We do have a cat but she's so old that she isn't a threat - hardly goes out at all these days. I'd love to see more birds visiting.
We do have loads of squirrels who also feast off the food we put out, if they can. DO squirrels attack birds? I thought they co-existed happily. Then there are the parakeets - in this neck of the woods there are loads of them screeching through the trees. I must admit I hate them - they make a terrible noise and I wonder whether it's those relative newcomers affecting native bird species. Does anyone have any thoughts?

cactus60 Tue 28-Jan-14 21:11:34

I did it and found few birds in my garden, but a couple of crows were preening each other, the doves were paired up and I saw 5 starlings and as starlings are supposed to be under threat I was pleased to see them, also two pairs of blackbirds so looks like I will have some babies in my garden in a few months. Have a large hedge so they all nest there.
My birds don't like peas pud, as the humans don't like it thought the birds might lol.

NfkDumpling Tue 28-Jan-14 18:25:04

Jen if I'd have filled in the survey on Sunday when kids and dogs had driven the birds into hiding it would've been a false reading when we have around 30 sparrows for 350 days of the year. I abstained.

apricot Tue 28-Jan-14 18:21:37

Very few birds here but I'll send off the pathetic list. My blackbirds love cut-up apples but I've had to stop putting out food for ground-feeders since getting 2 young cats. Their predecessors didn't hunt and the blackbirds knew they were safe. Not any more, sadly.

Galen Tue 28-Jan-14 16:16:04

The local robin loves cheese. The blackbirds eat the windfall apples. Or is it the worms in the apples they're after?

annodomini Tue 28-Jan-14 15:16:41

If I put an apple out for the birds, I suspend it on a piece of string from a tree. They seem to like it.

Tegan Tue 28-Jan-14 15:15:05

They seem to like the apples to be cut in half [or maybe mine are a bit fussy!]

durhamjen Tue 28-Jan-14 14:42:56

I threw the windfalls into the herb patch for the birds to eat after they had been blown off the tree. It's definitely the blackbirds that have been eating them. Maybe the people that watched Winterwatch do not normally have blackbirds.

Tegan Tue 28-Jan-14 14:02:21

My blackbirds love the apples. I don't mind the pigeons having food, it's just that the smaller birds need it because oftheir tininess [I've got several wrens in the garden] and they just gobble it all up in a matter of seconds sad.