Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Hedgehog House

(17 Posts)
janerowena Tue 25-Feb-14 15:02:58

I found one in my garden this morning, I was so pleased. I had one years ago at another house in my herg garden, but foxes detroyed them all, it was carnage. I don't have foxes here so they are fine - if a little exposed.

I have always known that we have hedgehogs, because at dusk one would drink, with my rabbit, from her huge water dish on the patio. I tried to take photos, but being dark and behind a conifer it was impossible. I had always assumed that the hedgehog came through under the back gate for some reason, but apparently not! grin I feel very lucky to have hedgehogs taking up residence in my garden for the second time that I am aware of - and very glad that I garden organically.

Flowerofthewest Tue 25-Feb-14 16:00:45

Was it a good size janeroena maybe a spell of sunshine brought it out of hibernation. If possible try to weigh it - it should weigh O.5kg is a good weight for surviving winter. They normally hibernate between Nov and early April. Keep an eye on the little fella.

granjura Tue 25-Feb-14 16:40:37

Put some dog food out for them and a bowl of water- as it is a bit early, as said. There won't be any slugs or snails for them to eat, so a bit of support required. Lucky you.

janerowena Tue 25-Feb-14 17:06:16

Yes, I have bought some dog food. It is so warm here this year, normally my february gold daffodils aren't out until the end of March, but they are all out now and it was 15C here yesterday, no wonder it thought it was time to come out. My friend's tortoises have all come out, too. I'm hoping that if we have a cold snap it will just go back into its house.

We do indeed have slugs and snails. A most unusual winter for East Angular. Hardly any bitter easterlies and no snow at all yet. Wild primroses have been out since the beginning of December and temperatures have been hovering at 10C most days - very Southern.

Anne58 Tue 25-Feb-14 23:26:25

Flower any news on Colin/Orange or whatever he/she ended up being called?

BTW janerowena great that you've got hedgepigs! I'm rather fond of them, I love they way they sort of "trundle" if you know what I mean!

Flowerofthewest Tue 25-Feb-14 23:55:24

Not lately pheonix will check this weekend though - I think I mentioned that he had gained weight and was 400 gm at last weigh-in.

janerowena Wed 26-Feb-14 12:15:30

I love the way they trundle too. I think I saw 'our' hedgehog's very first arrival, he was running up the drive before the headlights of my car as I turned into the drive a few years ago. He ran along the side of the house and I suppose slipped under the gate and made our garden (which is big) his home. I always assumed he left that way each morning and went back home into the fields/hedgerow for some reason, only coming back to have a drink with Bunny and eat our many snails.

I do hope Colin is well, send him our regards!

broomsticks Wed 26-Feb-14 16:41:00

I haven't seen a hedgehog in the garden for years now. You are lucky smile.

My son was researching hedgehogs last year and they found most of them near villages and town not out in the countryside.

durhamjen Wed 26-Feb-14 21:04:27

www.hedgehogstreet.org
They want sightings, as they are now considered an endangered species.

janerowena Thu 27-Feb-14 13:57:02

Thank you! That's a lovely site. It does look as if we are having a very southern year here for a change, as hedgehogs can be seen from the beginning of Feb onwards. It's just that usually we are the last area, not amongst the first.

Flowerofthewest Thu 27-Feb-14 17:10:10

For interested parties: Colin (Clive) Orange Hedgehog now weighs 701 kg he should be back with us complete with a new house (supplied) in a couple of months grin

Flowerofthewest Thu 27-Feb-14 17:11:26

Beautiful sitedurhamjen thanks too.

durhamjen Thu 27-Feb-14 22:50:57

Serendipity. My grandson read endangered species in a story book, so we looked it up.
First week of teaching him at home. I am worn out!

Flowerofthewest Thu 27-Feb-14 22:52:06

Ummm! meant Orange Colin is now a healthy 701g NOT 701 kg. Now that would be some hedgehog blush

durhamjen Thu 27-Feb-14 22:59:51

I did wonder, but I thought I must have missed something out. Wouldn't fancy that hedgehog in my garden!

Flowerofthewest Fri 28-Feb-14 09:09:20

Neither would my cats I think

janerowena Fri 28-Feb-14 12:39:23

He sounds as if he is doing well, Flower. I'm so pleased, I bet you are!

There have been Renovations going on at Hedgehog House. I was a bit worried as a chilly night was forecast, the house looked half-demolished yesterday, but today it has been re-erected. I think there must be more than enough snails and slugs around, I keep finding loads, because the dog food has barely been touched, but I shall continue to supply it.