Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

are birds not sleeping anymore?:-)

(16 Posts)
Lynb1954 Tue 25-Mar-14 19:40:30

Just got back to all ur messages after a very busy 4 day shift. I'm thinking its the street lights then. Agree that sparrows aren't seen to much now which is a big shame cos they're such sweet little birds,used to love going to my mums house,she used to get lots of different birds including robins which I never see here. I love watching n listening to birds it helps me cope with my busy life!

granjura Sat 22-Mar-14 17:21:02

It's pitch black here at night- no light pollution at all- and no bird song at all, until early morn- when teh sparrows start to make such a racket- love them, but you can't call it 'song'.

In the UK, the dawn chorus in our garden was just fabulous, although we lived on the edge of a large estate and near a main road- we had dozens of song thrushes and black birds competing for top bird x-factor- waking up to this was amazing- and we love it when we stay with either of our daughters in the UK (even the one in town centre has mature trees and lots of blackbirds- but not much light pollution, so only at dawn. Lovely (makes you forget about the ruddy Church bells for a few minutes (: )

PRINTMISS Sat 22-Mar-14 16:38:34

Unfortunately the sea-gulls disturb most of our young birds, they are really greedy creatures, closely followed by the pigeons who are just starting with that awful sort of sore throat coo. The only good thing about the sea-gulls is watching them glide in the bright moonlit silence of the night, it is magical.

rosesarered Sat 22-Mar-14 11:35:11

sparrows and starlings don't seem to be as common now do they? Blackbirds seem to have taken the top spot around here, and lots of bluetits as well.We have a wren in our garden just now [nestbuilding in the clematis tangle.]They are sweet little things.

Eloethan Sat 22-Mar-14 08:35:45

I too have noticed that birds seem to sing all night now - we are in London though. My mum is in Suffolk and I haven't noticed it there.

There is one - and only one - place in our road where a sparrow can be seen. There is a "colony" of sparrows inside a big clump of bushes in someone's front garden.

PRINTMISS Sat 22-Mar-14 08:14:47

I can't hear the birds sing, but my husband assures me that there is a bird which sings in the night. I have been told be a friend that blackbirds often do this, so perhaps it is a fact in some places. It is quite light around our house during the night, with street lighting.

rosesarered Fri 21-Mar-14 20:34:57

It's something that I have noticed too, and it must be the street lights which are near to us [when we lived way out in the country I never heard birds before the dawn.] Now I can hear them very early often about 4 a m. We also have lots of noisy owls hooting away.

Lynb1954 Fri 21-Mar-14 20:13:47

I really didn't no about the robins but haven't seen robins round here its mostly starlings n sparrows..,but as I say its nice to have their company so whatever they are they're welcome smile

tanith Fri 21-Mar-14 17:35:21

Same here no idea why.

annodomini Fri 21-Mar-14 17:31:47

Mainly owls around here but at least you expect that. I know that robins are bamboozled by street lights and tend to stay up all night! But I'm one of the lucky ones who can sleep through anything!

Dragonfly1 Fri 21-Mar-14 17:19:48

Our resident blackbirds sing all ruddy night too.

Ana Fri 21-Mar-14 17:01:17

There is a street light on the pavement sythe back of our house - quite often a blackbird will sit on it and sing away for most of the night...yes, I hear it when I visit the loo as well!

Lynb1954 Fri 21-Mar-14 16:57:46

Do you think it could be the lights..they never used to wake up so early tho did they...or maybe they did and I just didn't realise before my post 'being awake' years grin

durhamjen Fri 21-Mar-14 16:48:44

Robins?

rosequartz Fri 21-Mar-14 16:40:29

Is it because of the street lights?
I wonder if they have 40 winks during the day to catch up?

Lynb1954 Fri 21-Mar-14 16:34:10

I'm one of many who due to hot flushes and needed to go for a wee thru the night is up and about at least 3 times when I should be dreaming nice things,but what I've noticed is that whatever time I wake up I can hear birds singing away outside! This morning at around 2 I was on a cool down walk around my flat n there they were singing away...do they not get up at dawn anymore,is their life so busy they have to start the day that bit earlier as well! Its nice to have their company but wonder why their up so early!hmm