Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Bertha

(27 Posts)
Nonu Thu 07-Aug-14 16:47:12

Read today that Tropical Storm Bertha is heading our way and should reach us on Sunday, so we better gird up out loins !

The weather is going to be very horrible for next fortnight , so that is something to look forward to. [I don"t think]

Quite sad really as was rather getting used to this hot weather!

Wheniwasyourage Mon 11-Aug-14 18:55:59

Yesterday wasn't too bad until evening, but high winds and rain all night so that the second day of the agricultural show had to be cancelled - very tough when the rest of the summer has been so good. It's raining again now and there has been flooding in parts of Moray. The very expensive flood defences in Elgin seem to have helped though!

HollyDaze Mon 11-Aug-14 11:24:14

Torrential rain and high winds here all day yesterday - not only did the patio flood, the rain was running like a stream down the drive (lost a couple of slates off the roof - again). Stayed in and did some decorating instead of pottering in the garden so all was not lost.

durhamjen Mon 11-Aug-14 11:01:14

Wasn't Aylsham once voted the nicest place to live in Britain, or was that North Walsham? We lived in Stalham for a few years in the 70s.

Nonu Mon 11-Aug-14 10:22:27

We lived in Norwich when we first married NFK so I remember Alysham well, between Norwich & Cromer.

Pretty little market town !

NC has not been mentioned this morning at our usual" early morning in bed" chat over a cuppa.

So I am not saying anything either !

smile

NfkDumpling Sun 10-Aug-14 20:43:24

Ah, Sunny Suffolk. I'm in Aylsham. Not the posh bit of N Norfolk. We go down to Minsmere quite often, sometimes with the caravan as it's an hour - hour and a half drive.

Norwich lost?! They've just gone down. Surely they should be at the top of whatever they're in now!

Nonu Sun 10-Aug-14 20:04:35

NFK , tell me where in North Norfolk , it is possible I will have been there , as I am only a hop skip and a jump in Suffolk.

And of course we must not forget that Mr N supports Norwich City and goes up there when they are playing at home. I used to go up there with him but in the last few years have not bothered so much.

He is a bit sad tonight as they were on tele and lost!

Still as I said to him tomorrow is another day

smile

NfkDumpling Sun 10-Aug-14 19:40:20

I'm in North Norfolk Nonu and this morning we had the biggest deluge I've seen for a long time. Only half an inch, but it landed in less than half an hour. Cleaned the car and the conservatory roof beautifully! Thunder, lightening, wind and more rain since. The sun is out now but it's still quite windy.

Iam64 Sun 10-Aug-14 19:21:03

Just driven from Chester to north Manchester in torrential rain, and high winds. The motorways were busy, but most people were driving much more slowly than usual, lots of extra polite lane changes. Glad to be home, and it's settling down a bit now.

Ariadne Sun 10-Aug-14 17:00:18

Seemed to pass over us in Devon overnight, but DGD1's festival (Boardmasters) in Newquay has been called off today after horrendous weather last night - stages collapsing, rents being blown away, etc.

It's a bright but very breezy evening.

Nonu Sun 10-Aug-14 16:49:35

What part of the country are you NINA?

We haven't done too badly here in East Anglia, had some thunder and lightening, quite dramatic.

On the whole though most times we seem to get off quite lightly!
smile

ninathenana Sun 10-Aug-14 16:45:19

Bertha left flash floods in her wake in this area and the ceiling collapsed in Morrisons a few miles away.
Bright and sunny for the past few hours though.

Terrafirma1 Sat 09-Aug-14 17:34:24

Just one letter to the right in each case - maybe I should have gone to Specsavers grin

Nonu Sat 09-Aug-14 17:26:25

Not much difference !"

grin

Terrafirma1 Sat 09-Aug-14 17:21:21

"SAYING" not "daxing"!!!

Terrafirma1 Fri 08-Aug-14 23:05:53

Old North Bucks daxing ( get the accent right when reading

"Red sky at night, gazebo's alight
Red sky in the morning, it's spread to the awning"
gringrin

rosequartz Fri 08-Aug-14 20:36:49

The sky is very pink here; red sky at night etc, so hope it will be fine tomorrow.

tanith Fri 08-Aug-14 16:49:53

I choice the right time to go visit family in the med if we are having bad weather for a fortnight .. that must be a first for me..

Mishap Fri 08-Aug-14 16:40:15

I have lots of music to learn for a CD I have to make in the next few weeks, and being forced to stay indoors by the weather is probably the only way it is going to happen, as I keep getting distracted by the sunshine.

Annaries Fri 08-Aug-14 15:24:34

Is Bertha here?
Just had a downpour for two hours, with lots of thunder.

NanKate Fri 08-Aug-14 10:16:28

I have two Fox's Glacier mints instead Nonu. Who said us oldies can't have fun. grin

Nonu Thu 07-Aug-14 17:42:33

Oh go on , it"s the only way to go!!

<cheers>

NanKate Thu 07-Aug-14 17:27:48

Don't tempt me Nonu! This was a celebration lunch hence the wine. grin

Nonu Thu 07-Aug-14 17:24:14

Why not , you deserve it here"s another wine

NanKate Thu 07-Aug-14 17:16:25

Been not ben - had a glass of wine at lunch !!!!

NanKate Thu 07-Aug-14 17:15:38

My son and 3 and a half year old GS are in the Caribbean at present so I have ben watching carefully where the hurricane has hit, fortunately it missed them by a few hundred miles.

However when they fly home on Saturday it will catch up with them on the south coast. hmm