Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

15yo invents thing to help carers of Alzheimers patients

(8 Posts)
Nelliemoser Thu 21-Aug-14 09:12:00

They have been available for about 10 yrs at least. movement sensors to see if someone is up and about at home.

One camp thinks it degrading others suggest that its useful as a device to allow people with possibel dementia more independence by offering a quick way finding them if they really wander off and get lost or disoriented.

These were featured on You and Your a couple of years ago. They are similar to tags on people on bail or out on licence.

ninathenana Thu 21-Aug-14 08:35:19

I have just read an article about a mother who put a tracker inside a teddy on her sons grave to trap the despicable person stealing from the grave.
She bought the tracker on line. It sends a text to a mobile when it is moved. Same thing surely ?

gillybob Thu 21-Aug-14 08:22:16

I was thinking along similar lines ninathenana . My gran is up and down 10 or more times a night and thinks nothing of telephoning me to tell me she can't sleep . If she had one of these things fitted I woukd go around the bend. I too hate to sound negative but surely it couldn't work as who would respond every time it was triggered?

Mishap Thu 21-Aug-14 08:14:05

What a clever and caring young man, and how good that he has focused his talents and imagination on something so useful. The device in the sock seems very small and unobtrusive. Well done that lad!

ninathenana Wed 20-Aug-14 23:53:44

A very talented young man but how is this better than the system of sensor mats that trigger an alarm in the office as used in my mum's care home I wonder.
Also I can see dementia patients removing the sensor from their feet. I know mum would have.
Sorry to be negative.

Grannyknot Wed 20-Aug-14 22:29:02

Wow. The applications for other conditions e.g. by mental health problems must be limitless.

Elegran Wed 20-Aug-14 21:52:50

So simple and so effective. Look out for this boy in the future.

thatbags Wed 20-Aug-14 21:32:34

www.businessinsider.com.au/kenneth-shinozuka-google-science-fair-2014-8. A heartwarming story.