Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

British birds that oeverwinter here

(12 Posts)
Mishap Thu 08-Jan-15 13:38:39

Trying to find this out for GS fo school - anyone know the answer? I have found the internet useless on this topic.

If you are keen on birds, please let me know which ones are around.

Lots of thanks.

tanith Thu 08-Jan-15 14:00:42

I tried to find a list as well Mishap but no luck... seems mad that no one has compiled a list , maybe there is a reason.

Locally and in my park I have seen=

Robins
Blackbirds
Pigeons
Blue Tits
Woodpecker
Crows
Magpie
Sparrows
Wrens

When I was driving yesterday I saw a Red Kite..

hildajenniJ Thu 08-Jan-15 14:46:42

Does he need to know about winter visitors? I know that Hoopers and Bewicks swans are winter visitors. Also some breeds of geese. I also know that Britain has two populations of starling, summer and winter visitors.

whitewave Thu 08-Jan-15 14:51:40

Red wings are another - a couple of winters ago we had a huge flock of them come into ours and neighbour's garden and they stripped every berry in sight within a very short time.

hildajenniJ Thu 08-Jan-15 15:02:41

We very occasionally see a brambling here in the winter. They are pretty birds.

aggie Thu 08-Jan-15 15:18:29

google resident British birds ... there are 94

Mishap Thu 08-Jan-15 15:19:10

Lots of thanks for your help!

POGS Thu 08-Jan-15 15:45:53

whitewave

Hubby and I were only just saying we hadn't caught sight of any redwings this year, have you ??

We live in Leicestershire by the way. Has anybody caught sight of them??

ninathenana Thu 08-Jan-15 16:09:36

I have never seen a redwing in my area of S. E. (or anywhere else) Not saying they aren't there, just never spotted one.

Greyduster Thu 08-Jan-15 16:30:32

We had redwings and fieldfares here in South Yorkshire just before Christmas but have not seen them since. They are usually a herald of proper winter weather - and we certainly got some! Never saw any last year - mild winter! In previous hard winters we have had waxwings here but haven't seen them in recent years.

shysal Thu 08-Jan-15 16:41:15

Goldcrests can be found all year, but many more flock here from Scandinavia for the winter.

Greyduster Thu 08-Jan-15 16:48:57

Saw bullfinches yesterday - telltale flash of white rump before they settled and then that lovely pink breast and black head. Very ineffectual call, though, for such a lovely bird - just a little 'peep'!