We always had tadpoles in our pond and eventually saw the tiny frogs hopping around. Then one year, the frog spawn hatched out but the tadpoles just seemed to disappear. The next year, there wasn't even any frog spawn. I think it's because the pond needed cleaning out and re-planting. We've done that now so hopefully it will be OK next year.
As you say there were hundreds of tadpoles, could it be the same with your pond?
Mind you, environmental conditions are such that wildlife is reportedly being badly affected. When I visited my granddad in Suffolk as a child, I quite often saw lizards and snakes in the garden or in the country lanes. I haven't seen a lizard - or a newt - for years and it has been a long time since I've seen a toad or a hedgehog in our garden. Even sparrows aren't "common" any more.