Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

First cuckoo.

(6 Posts)
shysal Fri 01-May-15 09:26:30

I heard my first cuckoo of the year this morning. I suppose that means I shall be listening to it calling loudly each day at around 4am for a few weeks, but I don't mind as I am usually awake.
Anyone seen a swallow yet?

merlotgran Fri 01-May-15 10:04:47

I'm still waiting for my first cuckoo. It's one of the highlights of my year. I have no idea why it makes me so emotional but it does.

If it's a suitable time of day I dance around the garden singing the choral bit at the end of Mr. Blue Sky. Last year I was hanging out the washing! grin

hildajenniJ Fri 01-May-15 10:13:56

I haven't heard a cuckoo in years! I wonder if they don't come this far north anymore. Maybe I haven't been anywhere rural enough. Our swallows, house martins and sand martins are all back, and I'm sure I saw a couple of swifts on Sunday.
I leaped up and down in my kitchen shouting "it's summer". DH wondered what all the fuss was about.

Ariadne Fri 01-May-15 10:44:52

I have seen pictures of them, sighted recently up on Exmoor, on a local forum. But haven't heard one this year.

whitewave Fri 01-May-15 10:48:13

Gorgeous time of year, we don't hear the cuckoo from our house any more - too much urban build, but I love the cuckoo and the skylark and sights of the swifts and swallows such welcome return.

Ariadne Fri 01-May-15 12:01:10

Found the photo!