Science/nature/environment

Fantastic Osprey Video

(15 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Fri 22-May-15 16:36:42

tanith grin xx

tanith Wed 06-May-15 11:05:14

envy Flowerofthewest..

Flowerofthewest Wed 06-May-15 10:44:19

We have volunteered and monitored the two Loch Garten Ospreys several times. Great fun and very informative.

baubles Wed 06-May-15 09:00:55

Wow that was wonderful, thanks Bogoff

Bogoff Tue 05-May-15 23:30:49

I liked the way the last one turned the fish so that it was more aerodynamic.

janerowena Tue 05-May-15 21:55:41

Wow. How beautiful. No wonder they have such big feet!

NfkDumpling Tue 05-May-15 19:47:06

Incredible filming!

Thank you.

annodomini Tue 05-May-15 19:23:59

That's a fabulous video. What efficient hunters they are. I've been several times to the Loch of the Lowes where you can view the nest and see a wide variety of other birds, plus red squirrels. It's such a lovely spot. Sad that the Lady has gone but let's hope that the new female is a good mum and the eggs hatch successfully. Osprey blog here

Tegan Tue 05-May-15 19:17:09

Thanks tanith. RIP wonderful Lady if you are, indeed, no more. Thinking about it, they must be one of the few birds of prey that haven't been domesticated [at least, I assume they haven't]. The miles that they migrate are incredible and the size of some of the fish that they catch is astounding. Magical birds [unless you happen to be a fish, that is shock; they must wonder what hit them!]

tanith Tue 05-May-15 19:02:22

Tegan here's a link to the Scottish Wildlife Trust Osprey camera , sadly Lady the female Osprey that has been returning to the same nest each year for over 20 years hasn't appeared this year and is assumed either dead or too frail to make the journey. There is a new female who has mated with Lady's old mate and now has 3 eggs she is incubating in the nest...
Its very interesting and a bit compulsive if you get hooked..

scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/wildlife-webcams/loch-of-lowes/

whenim64 Tue 05-May-15 18:29:23

Amazing footage - first time I've seen them shaking water off their feathers in mid-air. Thanks.

loopylou Tue 05-May-15 18:28:41

Astonishing filming, such beautiful birds. We saw the pair on Loch Garten a few years ago, I'll never forget them.

Tegan Tue 05-May-15 18:22:23

There was an amazing programme about ospreys on the telly a few years ago where they followed some youngsters migrating; I'm sure Elegran told me of a female osprey that comes back to Scotland each year and is very famous.

ffinnochio Tue 05-May-15 18:18:54

Thanks bogoff smile. Superb. I wonder where it was filmed, or filmed in different locations perhaps?

Bogoff Tue 05-May-15 18:03:59

Have a look at this fantastic video of ospreys fishing.
www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXnNIto?feature=player_embedded