Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Vote before midnight.

(19 Posts)
Nelliemoser Mon 11-May-15 11:20:33

Janerowena Those folk songs are so lovely! smile

I must stop listening and get out in the garden though.

janerowena Mon 11-May-15 10:20:07

I would find it so hard, I love blackbirds as well! Maybe it's just as well that I missed the vote. I was listening to the cuckoo this morning at the bottom of the garden, as it flies along the river. It always makes me feel so happy, it takes me back to my childhood, and to a house in my early married life where I was very happy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tejH-LO714

My choir do this this, and it reminds me of singing lessons at school.

Nelliemoser Sun 10-May-15 23:53:05

The blackbird for me. The robins might sing well but they are vicious little beggars towards other small birds and because of them the Bluetits no longer come to my bird feeders.

rosesarered Sun 10-May-15 23:05:27

Thanks Jane I couldn't resist.
I like the sound the cuckoo makes, ah the first cuckoo in Spring and all that,
But not the nature of the bird, twice the size of it's mother, and pushing out as many eggs in the nest as it can.It's strange that only the cuckoo does that isn't it, and other birds all settle down to be good parents?

janerowena Sun 10-May-15 17:49:44

I love the cuckoo too, and that has been given a dreadful press!

Jane10 Sun 10-May-15 17:45:12

Good one roses!

rosesarered Sun 10-May-15 16:30:35

I hope the robin wins, I think it may do.If it does....... Will there be pages of posts saying what a nasty bird the robin is really and why did we vote for it in the first place?

hildajenniJ Sun 10-May-15 15:02:36

Ahh I see! Thursday was cut off day, oops.

hildajenniJ Sun 10-May-15 15:01:49

What happened? It's only three o'clock but the voting is closed so I've missed my chance. I tried to do this last week, but I couldn't find the page. Bother!

Jane10 Sun 10-May-15 14:30:02

I entirely agree. I love to see our robin. He brings such joy to the DGSs who can't believe a wild bird could be so friendly

janerowena Sun 10-May-15 14:10:52

It is lovely, to have a little friend in the garden.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 10-May-15 14:08:59

Anyone who has ever turned over a bit of soil in an English garden knows full well who the one and only British national bird has to be. NJothing's changed and, I hope, it never will.

Who are these people anyway? What do they know? hmm

janerowena Sun 10-May-15 14:06:37

Sadly voting is now closed, and I realise the kingfisher was not going to be a likely candidate, what were all the ten choices, does anyone remember?

janerowena Sun 10-May-15 14:05:28

Kingfisher! I do love them, we see them occasionally on our pergola, trying to fish for our goldfish. hmm

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 15:34:44

I went for the Wren, used to be on the farthing.

MrsEggy Thu 07-May-15 15:22:55

Done.
They live on our local canal and river Stour but its a rare treat to see one.

merlotgran Thu 07-May-15 14:51:50

Done

Barn Owl for us as well. We have one that works the drains surrounding our land. Beautiful sight if you're coming home at dusk and he flies alongside the car.

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 14:31:14

Done
I went with Hen Harrier as only a tiny few left and if they become the national bird surly we will try to save it?

DH went with barn owl

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 14:06:05

Been to the polling station, now :-

Vote for Britain's national bird asap. You have until midnight.

www.votenationalbird.com/