Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Mr and Mrs Blue Tit ...and babies !!

(8 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 19-May-15 22:30:56

I've just realised that all of the Nature thread allows for optional pictures ... I'm a bit slow tonight!

Grannyknot Tue 19-May-15 22:28:49

Wow Sheena envy - are you going to post a pic? Or am I missing something? smile

Sheena Tue 19-May-15 18:56:00

Oh that is so sad Flipping weather sad.....poor mum and dad birds

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 19-May-15 18:41:26

Oh no!!! sad Poor mum and dad.

grannyactivist Tue 19-May-15 18:39:16

Earlier today I saw that my bird box has been blown out of its tree - and four tiny white eggs lay smashed on the ground. sad

Jomarie Tue 19-May-15 18:36:00

That's brilliant Sheena - do envy you and your husband - it must be really lovely for you. Fingers crossed that the babies all survive. We have a lot of magpies too. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 19-May-15 18:33:32

I hope they thrive too. We don't have a family in our birdbox this year. sad Don't know why not. We usually do. I think bluetits are very canny when they fledge their young. They usually do it very early in the morning and soon have them hidden in trees with plenty of foliage. It seems to me it's the blackbirds that suffer most from the chicks being stolen. sad

Fingers crossed for your little lot. smile

Sheena Tue 19-May-15 18:27:14

For Christmas our two lads gave my husband a bird box with a camera attached, and we have it rigged up with a video recorder and spare TV...we were so excited when some tits showed an interest a couple of months ago...then it was apparent that nesting was definitely happening inside the box..so we switched the camera on.

Well.....soon a couple of eggs appeared..then a couple more and so on and then there were 8. Last Saturday our excitement grew even more when the chicks all started to appear....and now we have a complete little family..so gorgeous to watch live on the screen.

Mr & Mrs are so busy in and out with little bugs and caterpillars ..and Mummy Tit busies and bustles and nudges those little babies around....so sweet. We hope and pray that nothing happens to the parents and that the chicks will thrive. Sadly we have so very many magpies around who are notorious for getting chicks..also the woodpeckers will too given half a chance. But...so far so good grin