Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Foxes on BBC1

(8 Posts)
granjura Wed 10-Jun-15 21:58:49

There may well be too many foxes in town- but the real culprits are thos who a/leave rubbish for them to feed on and b/ those who feed them and encourage them to multiply. Foxes are actually really good at controlling their own numbers. When food is scarce, only the head vixens will breed, and have 1 or 2 cubs. If food is plentyfull they will all breed and have many cubs. Very well studied and reported by Bristol University over 40 + years.

In the countryside, foxes are THE ONLY predator for rabbits and all sorts of vermin- they do a splendid job. Eliminate the foxes and you will see vermin of every kind multiply. If they were not fed by rubbish and food left for them in town, they would soon get rid of the massive rat population and other vermin we have.

Foxes do have a very important rôle to play in a country with no other predators (well badgers will take litters of rabbits and rats, etc- but never to the same extent as foxes).

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Jun-15 19:32:50

Don't you mind the smell? And the poo round the garden?

whenim64 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:04:23

I love to see foxes - they often have cubs in a very quiet spot in my garden. I even forgive the vixen for uprooting every single one of my newly planted asparagus crowns a few years ago. She was there before I moved in - I guess it's one of her offspring that uses my garden now.

hildajenniJ Wed 10-Jun-15 18:31:07

I saw a fox on my way to work a few mornings ago. It ran across the road in front of the car. It was very near to the farmhouse. I get the farmer would have shot it if he'd been about at that time of morning. My BinL always shot them if he saw one on his land, particularly in spring, with all the young lambs about.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Jun-15 18:18:59

Shoot the buggers. Quickly and accurately.

granjura Wed 10-Jun-15 16:06:16

Care to explain, for those of us who haven't seen it. Who is Tim and what is he about to do, go for?

merlotgran Tue 09-Jun-15 22:53:11

Yep!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Jun-15 22:44:45

go Tim!