Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

I didn't know where to post this but

(15 Posts)
Stansgran Fri 12-Jun-15 13:20:02

My local newspaper has a front page advert offering BOGOF funerals . I've never seen this before . It includes wicker coffins for both funerals. I find it odd almost a suggestion of suttee.

rosesarered Fri 12-Jun-15 13:28:22

Buy one now, and get one free... Later I hope?

Ana Fri 12-Jun-15 13:54:54

I wonder if there's a time limit...hmm

jollyg Sat 13-Jun-15 11:06:37

Apparently suttee still exists in the more remote rural communities, as do child marriges.

Soutra Sat 13-Jun-15 11:28:57

Remote communities in the UKgrin??

felice Sat 13-Jun-15 11:55:28

DD found an ad for coffins supposedly from Ikea, prices started at 50€ we are not sure if it is real or not.
I told her the 50€ one would be fine for me.

felice Sat 13-Jun-15 11:58:06

Just googled and it is not true, pity in a way would give the Funeral Directors a kick up the at the prices they charge.

granjura Sat 13-Jun-15 15:28:27

The 50 quid one will do for me too felice. The thought of noble rain forest wood lined with silk, etc- with expensive metal handles from 3rd worl slave mines- just makes me want to weep. Time to break-up te monopoly of the expensive funeral directors- who make familly members feel really guilty aobut just asking about the price (how cou you possibly hesitate on the price for your dear mother, blabla)- and also the very unholy alliances that exist in that world to try and stop that monopoly being broken!

BOGOF sounds great in this instance- at least it won't end up wasted in the bin, bike a huge % of bogof food.

loopylou Sat 13-Jun-15 15:46:00

You could always get a carpenter or someone to make you one. You don't have to use an undertaker either. Humanist friends made a coffin from chipboard, lined it with silk and decorated it for their father then took it to the hall in the back of an estate car, had a simple remembrance service and a woodland burial.

His body was laid out at home, very simple and moving experience. I guess if someone dies other than at home then it isn't so straightforward but there must be a way to do it.

vampirequeen Sat 13-Jun-15 16:06:08

DH and I have both agreed we want the cheapest funeral possible regardless of what family and friends think. After all they're not paying for it. DH suggested a cardboard box and dustbin grin.

rosesarered Sat 13-Jun-15 16:31:09

Wicker Man?

Katek Sat 13-Jun-15 16:49:55

grin@ rosesarered! Reminds me of the macabre sense of humour that came into play after my father died. My brother had been having trouble getting his wardrobe doors from IKEA and he grumpily said " just as well we're not getting the coffin from IKEA-the lid would probably be out of stock." We all convulsed with laughter...was probably a good tension reliever. Fortunately mother wasn't there!

aggie Sat 13-Jun-15 17:30:31

My eldest DD reminded me that I won't be there , well the body will , so she said the funeral is for the family not me , so I was a bit taken aback . I had been sounding off about ostentation and cost

FarNorth Sat 13-Jun-15 18:41:41

The cost does come from the deceased's funds, tho, so surely you should get some say in it.
Lots of people pre-pay their funerals and organise it all beforehand.
A relative of mine did that and there was a really nice feeling that he had provided this particular ceremony and meal afterwards, for all of us.

janerowena Sun 14-Jun-15 12:32:42

I'd be quite happy for DBH to make me a coffin out of old wooden pallets! It would look quite nice in duck-egg blue. I found some instructions somewhere on how to make your own coffin. As even a cardboard box costs upwards of £50, it seems logical. Even the big cardboard wardrobes for removals don't cost that!