Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Extraordinary sight!

(5 Posts)
rosesarered Sun 14-Jun-15 08:47:33

Last week there was a single rook chasing off a red kite over our garden, which was a pity as we have too many pigeons and welcomed the red kite. no doubt it will be back.The rooks are nesting near us in a few tall trees, but this wasn't a true mobbing, as there was only one!

loopylou Sat 13-Jun-15 20:13:13

The last time we had snow the male blackbirds spent more time beating each other up than feeding on the food I'd put out!

Buzzards around here frequently get mobbed by crows; generally they just languidly drift off, it must really infuriate the crows who seem to be bursting for a fight!

hildajenniJ Sat 13-Jun-15 20:08:16

I have two male blackbirds that chase each other around my garden. It's big enough for both of them to have their own territory, yet the insist on invading each other's. Crows don't like birds of prey! We have a buzzard who circles above the hill opposite my house, the crows mob him mercilessly.

granjura Sat 13-Jun-15 17:36:03

Good on them. I'm afraid, although I absolutely adore cats- that would be the one reason that would stop me having any more. Do not have the figures to hand, but the predation by pet cats on baby birds is much more than by magpies or crows, etc- and yet magpies and crows do it to survive- cats have their plate full when they get home.

The other day the crows were mobbing a red kite... and giving him a very hard time.

Mishap Sat 13-Jun-15 17:16:23

I have just seen two very angry blackbirds chasing a cat up the lane - the cat was terrified and was running like a bat out of hell! Presumably he had encroached on their nest - they were having none of it!