Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Celestial event

(78 Posts)
annsixty Sun 27-Sep-15 19:43:09

Will anyone else try to stay awake to see the "blood moon" tonight?
Last night was clear and bright and the features on the moon were very clear but tonight it is slightly cloudy however I will try to stay awake.

durhamjen Tue 29-Sep-15 21:24:03

Anyone on the coast experienced a supertide yet?

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 28-Sep-15 18:36:11

Just saw some more amazing photos on the BBC news - gave me goosebumps. I have never seen anything like this in my life. When I try to watch these events at home, there's always cloud spoiling it or it's so unspectacular I can't see what I should be looking for.

It certainly helped last night to be on the East coast, but I watched every stage here in North Wales and look forward to seeing more celestial events.

durhamjen Mon 28-Sep-15 18:19:13

It was spectacular for those who stayed up. No fireworks, just something beautiful, like all the stars and planets.

Meersbrook123 Mon 28-Sep-15 18:16:06

When I went to bed last night around 11.30 I looked at the moon and it didn't look any bigger than usual to me. I understood that it was supposed to be, and that added to the eclipse, would result in something spectacular.

Coolgran65 Mon 28-Sep-15 16:57:27

It was a beautiful clear night here in N. Ireland - I sat out back and watched it all through the apple and plum trees, in my dressing gown with dh's dressing gown over the top. Sheepskin slipper boots. And a fleecy blanket around the whole lot. It was well worth it. All quiet.
Didn't hear a sound of anyone else.

durhamjen Mon 28-Sep-15 16:03:48

Mine's an FZ7.
Your's has a much better zoom than mine.

One advantage to moving from York, tiggy.

Galen Mon 28-Sep-15 15:23:19

DMC-FZ200

tiggypiro Mon 28-Sep-15 14:38:01

Fog, fog and more fog in the Vale of York. Woke up at 2.30am to see not a lot ! Moon was just visible and if anything looked smaller than usual. Very disillusioned I went back to bed.
The fog eventually lifted about lunchtime today.

durhamjen Mon 28-Sep-15 14:33:20

By the time of the next one, I might have learnt how to use a camera properly. When I altered the aperture, etc., as advised on my programme, the pictures were worse because I could not be bothered to get my tripod.
Silly idiot!
Next time I'll be in my 80s. Possibly.

durhamjen Mon 28-Sep-15 14:29:04

What sort of Panasonic, Galen?
I had three cameras ready because I knew the batteries would run out at the crucial moment. I took most with a Panasonic Lumix, but it doesn't allow for shivering.
Who are these people who went to bed because they've seen it all before?
Last one was in 1982. I don't think we had a camera then, certainly not one that could take pictures of the moon.

Tegan Mon 28-Sep-15 14:14:58

Alas, with me it was a street lamp, crun sad. Never seen the Seven Sisters so clear before though.

crun Mon 28-Sep-15 14:09:20

What was the brilliant gold light near the eastern horizon, is it Mars?

Tegan Mon 28-Sep-15 13:50:34

What I found fascinating was that, comparing it to a solar eclipse that you can't really stare at, as the shadow of the Earth moved across I could just think 'that's us and I'm there somewhere'. As I'm highly unlikely to go into space that's the nearest I'll ever get to that feeling.

grannyactivist Mon 28-Sep-15 12:49:11

This was taken with a telephoto lens by my friend in Cheshire.

Galen Mon 28-Sep-15 12:42:35

I was in my late husband's towelling dressing gown. Sitting on my patio. The picture is handheld, using my Panasonic with a zoom. I'd have done better to found my tripod, but cba at that hour

Cosafina Mon 28-Sep-15 12:42:14

Doh! I didn't realise the moon didn't vanish in the eclipse but instead turned red. I thought it was meant to be red all along and then vanish.
I went and looked at it about midnight and it seemed full, bright and normally coloured so I went to bed.
Really wish I'd seen it, having had so much success with the meteor shower a few weeks ago sad

GeminiJen Mon 28-Sep-15 12:35:02

Bothiegran too...Our images crossed in the ether!

GeminiJen Mon 28-Sep-15 12:33:30

Lovely pic, Galen

Attaching another, taken around 3.30 this morning, East Lothian, Scotland. Beautiful clear starlit night. I stayed up for about an hour.

The image is a bit small and shoogly, but I was hanging out of my bedroom window with a hand held camera...

And I'm not planning to be around for the next one in 2033...

If I am, I'll be 89 and my hands are likely to be even shooglier wink

Bothiegran2013 Mon 28-Sep-15 12:27:41

Got up at 2am, watched the whole thing. Great show.

Ma Mon 28-Sep-15 12:19:35

Got up for the loo at 3.20 am and amazingly remembered to look for it. Despite street lighting was able to get a good look. Not bad but less than spectacular.

Tegan Mon 28-Sep-15 12:18:40

Fantastic photo Galen. I'm never drinking coffee again as I was still awake at 9 [did manage to doze for a couple of hours afterwards though]. And my utility room [and also kitchen] are both very clean and tidy thanks to my nocturnal business. I didn't think it looked any bigger than usual either confused but agree about the 3D effect.

chrissyh Mon 28-Sep-15 12:02:58

Marvellous - one of the only nights I haven't woken up before 5am.

JaxKerr Mon 28-Sep-15 11:56:25

Got up at 3am to see it. Glad I did! Went back to bed and sleep. Woke up at 8am but stayed in bed as have teasmade in bedroomsmile

Galen Mon 28-Sep-15 11:46:41

Watched part and took a photo

MaizieD Mon 28-Sep-15 11:41:12

I stayed up to watch it. It was a lovely cloudless night here in Co. Durham so got an excellent view.

Unfortunately I had to get up early for granny duties; feel a bit tired now...sad