Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Take off for space from Fife!

(5 Posts)
Elegran Fri 05-Feb-16 17:21:18

It would put Fife very much "on the map" too! On the debit side, there could be great big lorries rumbling through the Kingdom - but maybe that would generate lots of cash for the roads.

mcem Fri 05-Feb-16 16:35:45

I'm just across the river so could watch takeoffs but would have no wish to be on board!
Fingers crossed then - what a boost for local economy and both universities!

Elegran Fri 05-Feb-16 15:29:02

And let me play among the stars.

tiredoldwoman Fri 05-Feb-16 15:22:31

I'm nearest , I'm nearest - I want to go first . Fly me to the Moon ?

Elegran Fri 05-Feb-16 14:32:44

Leuchars is in the running to be Europe's first commercial spaceport.

A self-styled “St Andrews spaceport” could provide the launch pad for a staggering £4 billion boost for the Scottish economy by 2030, it has been claimed.

"Fife Council outlined its bid to see the former RAF base at Leuchars play host to the out-of-this-world facility at a national conference in London, with the Department of Transport expected to confirm the preferred UK location for Europe’s first commercial spaceport in a matter of months."

"Three other Scottish sites – Campbeltown, Prestwick and Stornoway – remain on the Government’s six-strong shortlist, along with Newquay in Cornwall and Llanbedr Airport in Wales, and all six made submissions to the Royal Aeronautical Society’s Spaceport UK conference."

" . . . cash can be generated from launch charges, business incubator units, a meeting and conference centre, a space museum and education centre and merchandising."

" . . . Leuchars is close to St Andrews and Dundee universities, while . . . key industry players BAE, Raytheon and Rolls Royce – three of 744 companies said to be involved in the aerospace, defence and marine sectors in Scotland – are in Fife "