Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Muntjac deer in my garden.

(12 Posts)
fiorentina51 Tue 24-May-16 18:11:29

For the second time in 18 months we have seen a muntjac in our garden. It is a large(ish) plot with a lot of trees and is surrounded by equally large gardens and an old orchard. We live about 5 minutes walk from the centre of our small country town in the Midlands so we were quite surprised. We haven't noticed any damage as yet. Anyone else got Muntjac visitors and can I expect my garden to be trashed at some point in the future? ?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-May-16 19:25:54

We have the things every so often. Don't even try to grow Busy Lizzies. And the it strips the leaves off one of my rose bushes in the Autumn. A bit unnerving too as they are almost blind and it's quite difficult to shoo them away.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-May-16 19:27:31

And their poo looks like chocolate drops, so you need to be careful if you have young children who might pick it up and pop it in their mouths (as GSD did when he was tiny)

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-May-16 19:27:55

GS not GSD

tanith Tue 24-May-16 21:47:57

We were walking along a track not far from the house last Summer when a Muntjac jumped over a fence and ran along in front of us. We live in Ealing W London we were shocked, never seen it again though .

janeainsworth Tue 24-May-16 21:53:26

I was out gardening this evening and came round the side of the house and met a large fox.
He was obviously as surprised as I was and turned tail and ran off, but I suspect if I'd left the door open, he would have gone into the house shock

fiorentina51 Tue 24-May-16 22:08:38

Thanks ladies I shall look out for chocolate drops in the garden.?

This year I noticed all the flower buds on my Snakes Head Fritillary have been nipped off. I blamed the squirrels but maybe it was the muntjac?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-May-16 22:12:14

Yes. They will eat a lot of flowers. I found perlagoniums and begonias were safe, but several types of annuals were obviously found to be tasty.

Never had any luck with fritillaries so can't say definitely, but sounds likely.

fiorentina51 Tue 24-May-16 22:16:12

Don't know how we got fritilliaries in our garden. They appeared about 10 years ago. I love them so tend to cosset the little dears.

belladonna Wed 25-May-16 02:07:31

We live on Cannock chase and have lots in the garden...as well as other types of deer....they eat everything, blooming noisy...but hey ho ...we live in the country

Treebee Wed 25-May-16 21:12:17

They get in my Mum's garden and eat her veggies. She also has a fig tree and has had to put wire netting around it so they don't get there before she can.
Her neighbours have removed part of the fence so the deer can now saunter in at will. A real problem, cute though they are.

fiorentina51 Wed 25-May-16 21:59:31

Ah that's interesting regarding the fig tree. Last year our fig tree was loaded. Within a week all the fruit had gone. The squirrels got the blame again although they hadn't shown interest in figs before. Maybe muntjac?