Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Artistic slugs?

(14 Posts)
shysal Mon 29-Aug-16 09:52:34

My patio is always covered in trails from slugs. They seem to have no sense of direction, often getting dried up. I then take pity on them and wash them into a damp shady place with a watering can. I haven't the heart to kill them. What do you do with slugs and snails?

tanith Mon 29-Aug-16 10:23:56

I have got rid of the huge numbers we had when we first moved in here. Now if I see the odd one in the evening it gets scooped up and put over the fence to the neglected garden at the back.

Greyduster Mon 29-Aug-16 21:03:41

I toss them over the wall into the shrubbery beyond. They have made an awful mess of my outside end wall. We have an ariel wire which runs down the wall and for some inexplicable reason, it has several silvery snail trails along its entire length. They must have been having a snail grand national up and down there. Anybody else got mountaineering molluscs?

trisher Mon 29-Aug-16 21:13:26

shysal you should enter them for the Turner prize, worse things have won.

Cherrytree59 Mon 29-Aug-16 21:33:15

Great photo
Agree with trisher

Frogs keep the population down.
When we moved our shed we found dozens of empty shells.
Although we no longer have a pond
(because of DGC) we have at least one resident frog, think he must get in bird bathconfused
so we don't seem get many slugs or snails.
The odd one I put in the garden waste bin, where they can then chomp away until go to wherever the garden waste goes to for an even bigger chomp!

Please don't use slug pellets the are harmful to pets and wild life

grannyqueenie Mon 29-Aug-16 21:47:14

shysal I'm sure I read in a gardening mag that circular slime trails are a sign of amourous activity. So whatever you do with the critters you'll know they died happy! grin

Jayh Mon 29-Aug-16 22:30:50

My tiny pond ( think puddle) was full of newts in the Springtime. I have hardly noticed a slug or snail this Summer despite being plagued for years by them eating my annuals.
I hope the newts come back next year.
OH had a strange silvery line baked onto the bonnet of his car. Nothing would remove it and he was putting it down to tree sap. However, someone who knows about these things told him it was slug slime and Dettol wipes would remove it. They did.

Synonymous Tue 30-Aug-16 06:30:06

I don't care how artistic they may appear to be I dispose of them - permanently! I like my flowers and veg without tbe attentions of slugs!

LullyDully Tue 30-Aug-16 08:26:57

Salt!

Missadventurefalls Tue 11-Feb-20 19:55:16

Try bug repellent

bikergran Wed 12-Feb-20 18:07:31

Rats also eat snails and leave empty shells.

Callistemon Wed 12-Feb-20 19:08:25

I throw them over the fence to the no man's land beyond and hope the birds eat them.

I think they make their way back though.

annodomini Wed 12-Feb-20 19:27:35

Do you realise that hyaluronic acid which is now found in many skincare products is a synthesised form of slug slime? At least I hope they don't get it by squeezing slugs. shock

Hetty58 Wed 12-Feb-20 21:28:05

I put them in a doggie bag and take them when we go for walks. They get dumped on the river bank about a mile away, too far for them to come back home (snails do home, just like pigeons). Field mice eat snails too!