Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

different pigeon

(15 Posts)
overthehill Sun 16-Jul-17 09:22:40

Anyone know what type of pigeon this is. Beige in colour with long slender kneck

tanith Sun 16-Jul-17 10:59:52

I have pigeons of all shape colour and size visit my garden I've assumed they variants of the common or garden variety.

joannapiano Sun 16-Jul-17 11:03:53

A collared dove?
We love them as they don't squabble over the bird feeder like the pigeons.
DGC have named 2 of them Lovey and Dovey.

goldengirl Sun 16-Jul-17 11:05:54

I think it's a collared dove too. We get them in our garden and they look very graceful compared with the wood pigeons which are always hovering for any fallings from the seed fillers

Ana Sun 16-Jul-17 11:17:43

No, it hasn't got the distinctive black 'collar'. I think it's just a common or garden pigeon! grin

judypark Sun 16-Jul-17 11:45:31

Juvenile Collared Doves don't have a black collar until after their first moult in August/September.

Elegran Sun 16-Jul-17 12:06:27

There is a video on identifying pigeons and doves at www.bto.org/about-birds/bird-id/bto-bird-id-pigeons

From the photo, yours has a white front edge to the wing, but to me, it looks very young and slim, too young to have developed the white neck patch.

overthehill Sun 16-Jul-17 14:57:28

Thanks for your answers. It could be a young collared dove as suggested. It had taken up position on the fence by next doors bird feeders although it had no chance of getting on them. A young magpie did manage a quick go at the feeders despite the 'dove' flapping its wings at it trying to shoo it away.

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Jul-17 15:28:24

It could also be a young wood pigeon. They look like that and always seem startled and stupid. Do you have wood pigeons around?

ninathenana Sun 16-Jul-17 16:29:40

H and I thought wood pigeon.

hildajenniJ Sun 16-Jul-17 16:48:19

It looks like a common old feral pigeon to me. Wood pigeons are more colourful albeit predominantly grey.

shysal Sun 16-Jul-17 17:39:54

I think wood pigeon too.
I haven't seen my pair of collared doves today, but had 7 young magpies on my feeder this afternoon. They were trying all kinds of acrobatics to reach the dangling fat-filled coconut half then along comes a crow who grabs the string and hauls it up so that it can reach, much cleverer!

annodomini Sun 16-Jul-17 18:13:04

Collared doves are beige, not grey, but the one in the photograph looks like the wood pigeons in my garden, though smaller - maybe a youngster? Collared doves are such flirts! One day I saw one sitting on a trellis beside a pigeon and it kept sidling a little bit closer and closer! Eventually the pigeon decided it wasn't interested and took off.

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Jul-17 22:50:54

Wood pigeons don't get their colour and the white bits until their second year. The young are beigy grey with a hint of the blue to come around their heads. We are 'blessed' with wood pigeons. They insist on roosting in the tree above where we have to park the car and occasionally lay a random egg!

farview Sun 30-Jul-17 16:12:17

Think wood pigeon also!