Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Aurora on Wednesday.

(9 Posts)
Elegran Mon 11-Sep-17 19:36:24

I missed the marvellous showing of the aurora borealis a few days ago (I had an email alert at 11.40 pm, when I was tucked up in bed, and I decided I wasn't getting up and dressed and going on foot to somewhere with an unrestricted view north with no distracting street lights)

However I may possibly go out on 13th Sept, so as to be around at 18.00, when the forecast is for the aurora to be visible from central Scotland and northern England and places north of there. Hopefully it will still not be too light.

To see the forecasts for the next couple of weels, go to www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/aurora_forecasts.asp and for a nice map of what the KP readings mean in terms of how far south the aurora can be seen from go to www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-school/all-about-the-kp-index/ (KP5 can be seen from the far north of scotland, KP6 from central Scotland, KP7 from London. Wednesday's will reach KP6 round about 6pm.)

Elegran Mon 11-Sep-17 19:36:58

weels? weeks!

oldgoat Mon 11-Sep-17 21:20:43

Thanks for the tip about possible sightings of the aurora on the 13th Elegran but can you see it when the sky is still light, at 6 pm?

Elegran Tue 12-Sep-17 08:43:56

The forecast at midnight is a 5, oldgoat so I should think it wil gradually move further north between a 6 at 6pm and a 5 at 12 . It ought to be visible soon after dark (unless it is cloudy) from where you are.

The last time there was a 6, it was seen well south of the theoretical limit. I think these forecasts are just estimates.

Elegran Tue 07-Nov-17 19:22:12

Another red alert (7th Nov 2017) Aurora should be visible from anywhere in the UK, if cloud cover permits.

"Dear AuroraWatch UK subscriber,

Red alert: aurora likely.

It is likely that aurora will be visible by eye and camera from anywhere in the UK. Viewing aurora requires clear, dark skies away from light pollution. To monitor current activity see aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk.

Issued 2017-11-07 18:39 UTC by AuroraWatch UK using AMNET CRK2 data from Crooktree, UK."

If you go to aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/alerts/ you can sign up to get yellow, amber and red alerts when an aurora is likely.

hildajenniJ Tue 07-Nov-17 19:43:13

According to our weatherman, there's a good chance of the aurora tonight, and that is here in Northumberland. I really wish lived in a dark sky area.

Fennel Tue 07-Nov-17 20:27:06

Another recent stunning sight in the night sky:
earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/see-it-full-hunters-moon
We saw it here a couple of nights ago. Well more in the evening - the moon appeared over the horizon about 8pm.

hildajenniJ Wed 08-Nov-17 00:20:05

Unfortunately, too much cloud after sunset, and now the moon is high in the sky. No luck tonight.

Elegran Wed 08-Nov-17 08:19:54

Too many street lights here.. What we missed - Spectacular views of Northern Lights last night