Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Beavers

(7 Posts)
Elegran Tue 03-Oct-17 11:07:35

Beaver kit video - More beavers to be released into wild in Argyll
Wetland study news article - Beavers' biodiversity benefits highlighted in new study
Direct link to the study report - Using ecosystem engineers as tools in habitat restoration and rewilding: beaver and wetlands

jollyg Tue 03-Oct-17 11:51:18

Hi eleg.
There was apiece on radio recently about Beavers, I think, somewhere in Perthshire, and some farmers were agin them.

But then have I ever heard happy farmer on the radio, ?Depending on when i wake up i do sometimes hear the farming prog before 6. The presenters there are wonderful

Baggs Tue 03-Oct-17 12:38:12

I reckon anyone who is agin beavers is ignorant about them and harbouring misconceptions.

SueDonim Tue 03-Oct-17 13:26:55

I know farmers in Perthshire who are very happy to have beavers on their land. Of course, happy farmers don't make good radio! wink

Elegran Tue 03-Oct-17 14:27:07

It is a question of balancing biodiversity and ecology against possible inconvenience to farmers - but along with them being reinstated as native species with a right to be here go strategies to manage their impact.

At scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2016/11/what-now-for-beavers-in-the-uk/ the key points reported from the Minister’s statement confirming that the beavers now have the status of native species were ): (note the items I have given a bold font.

1) Beaver populations in Argyll and Tayside can remain.
2) The species will receive legal protection, in accordance with the EU Habitats Directive but work will be required to achieve this in the coming months e.g. the Scottish Government is now required by law to complete a Habitats Regulations Assessment and consider a Strategic Environmental Assessment.
3) Beavers will be allowed to expand their range naturally.
4) Beavers should be actively managed to minimise adverse impacts on farmers and other land owners.
5) Management techniques to prevent beaver damage, such as controlling flow through dams, or protecting valuable trees can be carried out without a licence.
6) More intensive management techniques, up to and including lethal control, are permitted under the Habitats Regulations for specified purposes and subject to there being no other satisfactory solution, and no adverse effect on the conservation status of the species.
7) The Scottish Government will provide advice and assistance to farmers in understanding their options and helping them implement mitigation and prevention measures.
8) It will remain an offence for beavers to be released without a licence, punishable by up to two years imprisonment and an unlimited fine.

Elegran Tue 28-Nov-17 16:15:38

Three more beavers reintroduced to Knapdale Forest today.

Elegran Tue 28-Nov-17 16:15:40

Three more beavers reintroduced to Knapdale Forest today.