Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Words words words

(6 Posts)
Elegran Thu 21-Dec-17 09:36:04

A gathering of terms for the land and its weathers

www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/27/robert-macfarlane-word-hoard-rewilding-landscape?CMP=share_btn_fb

Luckygirl Thu 21-Dec-17 09:56:43

See also The Lost Words which he wrote in collaboration with the artist Jackie Morris as a tribute to all the words that have been removed from the Oxford Junior Dictionary - mainly nature words, which have been replaced by things like blog and app.

My DD and her OH are working on a project around this book to create new music from top class folk musicians and a show that will encompass poetry, music and art. South Bank already keen to book it! It is very exciting! smile

Luckygirl Thu 21-Dec-17 09:57:55

booksplea.se/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=9454875&google=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3peZxOua2AIV8xXTCh3PKQfREAQYBCABEgK-S_D_BwE

Here it is!

Elegran Thu 21-Dec-17 10:44:31

I came to the article via the missing words from the Junior Encyclopedia, Luckygirl

Elegran Fri 22-Dec-17 16:34:50

Luckygirl That book "The Lost Words" is just beautiful, lovely paintings, and poems for each of them. Amazon had it for £13.60 instead of £20 so I bought it.

Culag Fri 22-Dec-17 17:07:09

He writes some lovely books about nature and words. He also Tweets his word for the day on Twitter, often about the weather.