Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

The Ape that Understood the Universe

(6 Posts)
Baggs Fri 14-Sep-18 06:36:47

I think some of you will find this first chapter of evolutionary psychologist, Steve Stewart-Williams' new book interesting: The Ape that Understood the Universe

Marydoll Fri 14-Sep-18 06:53:54

Baggs, I misread the title (half asleep) and thought it was a computer app! grin
I had a glance at it and I'm going back to have a proper look later. Articles like this really interest me.

Baggs Fri 14-Sep-18 06:57:57

grin

I found the imagined Galactic alien assessment of Earth a bit simplistic (and irritating) but what follows, SSW's own views, is very interesting.

MiniMoon Fri 14-Sep-18 10:06:39

Thanks baggs. I tapped on your link and it instantly downloaded. It was a bit of a surprise. I'll read it later as I'm going to be busy shortly, with the eldest two GC coming for lunch.

BradfordLass72 Fri 25-Jan-19 07:53:03

I thought for a moment you were talking about the brilliant book, "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn which was so incredible that it actually led to world-wide Ishmael Communities and concerted efforts to change things.

In that, an ape - gorilla, understood the universe perfectly and gave advice on how to make it a better place.

RosieLeah Fri 25-Jan-19 09:58:01

It's rather too early in the day for heavy reading...I'll take a look later. Anything that explains our existence is worth studying. I'm also curious about why mankind doesn't change. Humans have been on this planet for thousands of years, yet we don't seem to advance at all. The present trend for 'Liberalism' is allowing human nature free rein and is bringing out the worst in us.