Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Plastic (or how to avoid it)

(5 Posts)
OldMeg Fri 21-Sep-18 14:40:50

The stuff is everywhere. The staff on the deli counter at our local Sainsbury’s put sliced meats onto plastic to weigh it. Why not use grease proof paper?

Bought a little cake at Greggs recently and the server used two pieces of plastic to pick it up rather than the tongs sitting in front of him.

Thought I’d buy lemonade in tins (very recyclable) for DH’s whisky. The tins were held together by ......yes plastic.

All soft fruit was in plastic containers. No option. What happened to cardboard punnets?

BUT... today our butcher has gone plastic free. Came back with everything in paper bags. That’s what the picture is, if you can’t see it.

Any practical suggestions for cutting back even more please?

shysal Fri 21-Sep-18 14:55:02

My local butcher has asked their customers to bring in containers from home into which they will transfer the purchases with a piece of greaseproof paper. Only possible with small shops but a step in the right direction.

For years I have used home-made voile draw-string bags for loose vegetables from the supermarket instead of the usual plastic, but surely paper bags could be offered for this purpose.

M0nica Fri 21-Sep-18 16:15:46

Waitrose are going the French route and from the beginning of next year, fruit and veg bags for self-selection vegetables will be compostable.

Fennel Fri 21-Sep-18 17:13:18

That's good news. Those new bags have a very strange texture though.
I do my bit by refusing plastic carrier bags, as most people here do.
I read about a project last week, written by the mother of a large family, who recorded all the plastic she got from a weekly shop. Then decided what was essential and what she could do without.
Good for her, she reported the results to the school of one of her children and got them to start a project there.
I'm sometimes afraid to walk around here, with all the plastic bags blowing around. Someone I know got one stuck on her foot and broke her ankle.

Happiyogi Fri 21-Sep-18 17:37:31

I heard on the radio today that there are something like 40 different recycling policies in operation round the country. I think manufacturers need to be pressured into using materials that can be widely recycled, and we need to standardise the system so it is much more efficient.