Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Carbon footprint

(7 Posts)
mande Mon 26-Nov-18 10:25:27

I am just back from a walk to the shop. The local council has been replacing the road and footpath surface on the road at the end of my lane. They have been doing this on and off for a couple of weeks. This morning I counted 11 vehicles, some of them huge, with their engines running. No work is being done. They are all just sitting there, waiting for the tarmac lorry to arrive, I think. What an awful waste of energy and what an awful lot of extra pollution! I wonder is the message ever going to get across that we are destroying our planet. Have any other gransnetters come across such disregard for our environment?

Bridgeit Mon 26-Nov-18 10:32:38

They sometimes have to keep them running if they have Tarmac on board. Must be a big road for 11 vehicles .

Anja Mon 26-Nov-18 10:45:25

Yes, parents who wait outside schools with their engines running.

mande Mon 26-Nov-18 10:48:16

Bridgeit I agree but the tarmac hadn’t arrived yet!

annep Mon 26-Nov-18 11:09:25

We haven't quite got the message yet. I agree. I'm guilty too.

gillybob Mon 26-Nov-18 11:11:08

This kind of waste of public money makes me mad mande and our council are very good at it. We are a very poor LA with extremely high council taxes and at the moment they are wasting masses of money on bus lanes which are cropping up all over the town. there are lorries trucks, diggers etc. standing around all over the place and the mayhem is causing huge traffic tailbacks which cannot be good for the environment.

Anniebach Mon 26-Nov-18 13:26:17

The council cannot be blamed for 11 vehicles left with engines running, the fault lies with the workmen unless they had to keep the engines running