Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Fluorescent lights from material

(17 Posts)
moggie57 Thu 13-Dec-18 12:22:42

its static. meaning you are too warm........ i get static from escalators and sometimes from frozen department with metal at supermarkets.......any its static caused by friction with heat and polyester. i get this from my blankets sometimes.

Legs55 Wed 12-Dec-18 00:05:46

I often used to get a shock from car door handles etc but for some reason this rarely happens now, perhaps they use different paint on cars now as I haven't had one from my car (2 cars, same model, in 7 years).

I've not noticed anything from my fleeces but I rarely have one on my bed.

Do you all remember rubbing balloons on winter jumpers & sticking them on the wall?

hallgreenmiss Tue 11-Dec-18 18:28:10

I find that using fabric conditioner helps to curb static.

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Dec-18 18:24:58

I have had mild shocks from lift buttons, cars, supermarket trolleys and from touching other people.

I try not to buy polyester these days, but I do remember the 'crackle' when we used to wear nylon slips very many years ago, before fabric conditioner was invented.

GabriellaG54 Tue 11-Dec-18 17:42:53

If we get power cuts (post the B word) you can always wave your blanket to let people know where you are.

sarahcyn Tue 11-Dec-18 13:45:15

When I was a child my mother bought these horrible nylon sheets from Brentford Nylons. You could almost read under the bedclothes without a torch, if you kept wriggling.

hdh74 Tue 11-Dec-18 13:23:56

I already knew about static but the first time I saw something similar from a throw on my bed it still made me jump a mile, I was just astonished how bright it was, for a split second I really thought something might catch fire.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 11-Dec-18 12:25:44

Actually, if the blanket is polyester there is something that many of us find harmful in it, but that is beside the point here.

Static electricity is the answer. In frosty weather my hair gives off green sparks when I undress in the dark, even when wearing pure cotton, and if I touch the cat's ears, both he and I get a shock. I can touch the rest of the cat all right, just not the tips of his ears.

Gilly1952 Tue 11-Dec-18 11:33:57

Radioactive??

NemosMum Tue 11-Dec-18 11:00:37

Defo static! My M&S fleece dressing gown sparks when I remove it. Looks quite impressive in the dark!

blueskies Tue 11-Dec-18 10:47:47

Thank you so much all. I was concerned that there might be something harmful in the fibres. Now why did m&s customer services not explain this— it would have taken then two minutes. Thankfully I will not have to think about alternative presents now. Good old Gransnet. We are the wise ones. X

GrandmasueUK Tue 11-Dec-18 10:35:35

My partner and I went out shopping and in one particular store, I was pushing the trolley, every time he came close I got a shock. After several times of this I shouted, "Will you stop touching me!" I didn't realise what I'd said at first and he got some strange looks from other people. I just smiled and said, "Sorry, static!"

MiniMoon Tue 11-Dec-18 09:26:51

Here's the science bit,
Static electricity is an accumulation of electrically charged particles that occurs because of friction. Some materials, such as fleece, are more prone to static electricity than others. It can also build up between your skin and clothing because of friction. When static builds up to a point where it has nowhere to go, it will be released on the next oppositely charged item it comes into contact with. There are several ways to prevent and maintain a low amount of static electricity using simple household items.
The way to cut down on the static charge is to use a dryer sheet of you dry your fleece blanket in the tumble dryer. Otherwise line dry it. Both these help to lower the charge.

ayse Mon 10-Dec-18 21:25:08

I seem to generate static whenever I’m wearing man made fabric. It makes my hair Stan on end. Ditto shocks from escalators, the car door handle etc. Most disconcerting.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Dec-18 20:08:42

I invariable get one when I hold a metal rail going up or down stairs in shops A shock I mean nothing more exciting ??

Cherrytree59 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:04:01

Polyester causes static and can be seen in the dark.
Taking any polyester mix type clothing over my head makes my hair stand on end!shock

Sorry I dont know the science behind it.
I am sure Elegran or other science minded GNers will have a good scientific explanation.

I seem to be prone to static shocks from car doors.

blueskies Mon 10-Dec-18 18:41:30

I have a new fleecy throw from M&S content polyester. I use it as a bedspread.. Last night I threw it off as too warm and in the dark I saw fluorescent shards round the material. M&S do not have an explanation ( I had the feeling they thought I am a nutter ).it worries me as I have bought two more as Christmas presents for my grandchildren. Any ideas why/ how this happens?