Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Sustainable palm oil debate in Parliament

(7 Posts)
Anja Wed 12-Dec-18 08:28:18

This is the transcript of the debate following the petition to Parliament. Interesting to note how few MPs bothered to turn up ?but that is fairly standard for these petition-generated debates.

However, those who spoke do recognise that the agency responsible for the ‘sustainable palm oil’ stamp is not reliable and there needs to be an international approach.

Hansard Palm Oil Debate

silverlining48 Wed 12-Dec-18 12:13:08

Given the increased interest in this subject as well as the recent banned Iceland advert I am surprised that there hasn’t been more of a response to your post, but perhaos that’s because of fast moving political events today.
What you say about petition generated debates is both interesting and disappointing, though not entirely surprising.

PECS Wed 12-Dec-18 13:18:01

I am always shocked at the low turnout of numbers for what I think are really important issues.

Sadly, sustainability in all its forms, is never high enough on government agendas....IMO.

Anja Wed 12-Dec-18 23:02:55

Thank you silver & PECS for your interest.

crystaltipps Thu 13-Dec-18 05:49:52

This is the sort of thing parliament should be spending time on.

notentirelyallhere Thu 13-Dec-18 09:04:39

There is almost no interest in the UK in taking decisions for the greater good, either for the planet or the worse off. We live in narrow minded times where trade deals, employment practices and living standards are oriented towards profits and those who have enough disposable income not to care. There is no public consensus, politicians line their own pockets. I call it going to hell in a handcart and its going to get worse.

Anja Thu 13-Dec-18 09:16:03

Sadly, there’s a lot of truth in what you say notentirely