Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Gene modified chickens 'lay medicines'

(12 Posts)
goodeone Thu 07-Feb-19 07:36:17

Dr Frankinstine is at it again.

Elegran Mon 28-Jan-19 17:39:18

Yes. This sounds like a more efficient way of getting medication and egg protein together.

EllanVannin Mon 28-Jan-19 15:06:53

Egg protein is used in the 'flu vaccine.

Elegran Mon 28-Jan-19 14:58:58

Not necessarily - a neighbour has a cat who used to "work" as a stud cat but wasn't a happy employee. The females bullied him shamelessly, and wouldn't let him near the food bowls, so he is enjoying his retirement as the only pet in the house. He had never been out into a garden, and would be completely unstreetwise if he went out on his own, but he likes to help with the gardening. and stalk birds (unsuccessfully)

Jalima1108 Mon 28-Jan-19 14:45:04

He does quote the Professor further down in the report who explains why the cockerel is there:

"That's why in this pen we have a cockerel - and he can produce an awful lot of children in a short time.

He must be a very happy cockerel

Elegran Mon 28-Jan-19 14:24:47

Here is a different report on the research which doesn't mention cockerels. phys.org/news/2019-01-hens-human-proteins-eggs-future.html It is much the same, but without adding a non-scientific aside from the ignorant journalist.

And the original report from the researchers is at bmcbiotechnol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12896-018-0495-1
This should be genuine and a a serious report of serious research - ^"BMC Biotechnology is an open access, peer-reviewed journal that considers articles on the manipulation of biological macromolecules or organisms for use in experimental procedures, cellular and tissue engineering or in the pharmaceutical, agricultural biotechnology and allied industries. BMC Biotechnology is part of the BMC series which publishes subject-specific journals focused on the needs of individual research communities across all areas of biology and medicine. We offer an efficient, fair and friendly peer review service, and are committed to publishing all sound science, provided that there is some advance in knowledge presented by the work.""

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 14:16:21

That is a very valid point Elegran ??

Elegran Mon 28-Jan-19 14:14:20

I noticed that too! Perhaps it wasn't explained to him clearly enough that the cockerels were there purely for their contribution to chick production, and he himself added the other bit. Many people believe that hens only lay eggs after fertilization (like humans only have babies after fertilization) but the truth is that they lay without ever meeting a cockerel.

Journalists are not famous for their accuracy on scientific matters. I don't think I would disbelieve the rest of the story, though. The Roslin Institute is a respected establishment and wouldn't be a party to invented news.

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 14:03:24

Dodgy this

“There are cockerels here too, something of a surprise to a townie like me.
Their purpose is twofold. Hens won't lay unless there's a cockerel in the vicinity.” ???

Oh yes they will! That is so blatently untrue I cannot take the rest of it seriously

Elegran Mon 28-Jan-19 13:45:06

It sounds as though these chickens are living the life of Reilly, and regulations will make sure future generations of lab-pharmed hens are also well looked after.

merlotgran Mon 28-Jan-19 13:37:25

So long as the chickens are well cared for I think it's brilliant.

Elegran Mon 28-Jan-19 13:36:07

Going to work on an egg to produce better and cheaper medicines.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-47022070