Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

More "awwww" and a chance to vote for a name.

(8 Posts)
Elegran Mon 11-Feb-19 12:23:10

Name this baby tapir.
woobox.com/poapnc?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn

PECS Mon 11-Feb-19 12:27:42

Very cute! I will vote Amal ..as it is my cousins name and she will think it funny!

ffinnochio Mon 11-Feb-19 13:37:29

Well he/she is a bit of a star, so I’d choose Bintang ?

Gossamerbeynon1945 Mon 11-Feb-19 17:24:34

Stripey

Elegran Mon 11-Feb-19 19:05:41

They have a list of six to chose from - none of them appeal to me, but that is the choice. Unfortunately, Stripey isn't on it.

PS - the stripes will vanish as he gets older, and he will be half black and half white, so it wouldn't suit him then anyway. See his mum in grown-up colours in this video of them - www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/news/article/15339/endangered-tapir-born-at-edinburgh-zoo/ (go down the page a bit to find the video)

Gossamerbeynon1945 Tue 12-Feb-19 17:32:47

I didn't know that- thank you for the video, it was very interesting.
h
Beautiful little animal though

Anniebach Tue 12-Feb-19 17:47:03

Aw I missed a vote

Elegran Tue 12-Feb-19 18:04:30

I love the white tips to the adult's ears.

I have heard that the horizontal stripes may not be so that he is camouflaged in the forest (vertical ones would be more useful in among tree shadows) but that it may be so that the females can see them better - their sight isn't very good!

Numbers in the wild of these black-and-white peaceful animals are less than those of pandas, and about the same number of them are in captivity. They live in similar wooded areas to the ones pandas do (perhaps a bit warmer and not as hilly, but similar light forest and glades) They are slow to reproduce and their habitat is shrinking due to encroachment by humans.

So they have a lot in common with pandas, but nowhere near the same high profile as them !