Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

David Attenborough this evening on BBC 1.

(9 Posts)
Grannyknot Fri 19-Apr-19 09:23:23

It was a very good programme in terms of getting the message across that "It' is happening now".

I do my bit (mostly unwittingly until now) - I use glass and beeswax wraps to store food, I mend and darn, I walk everywhere, I am a master at cooking just enough to feed the number of people I'm catering for (the family tease me about it).

thanks for our planet.

LullyDully Fri 19-Apr-19 08:15:55

Just couldn't face another programme. As many of you say I am doing ' my bit'.

No doubt it is a Worldwide problem and everyone needs to be more aware.

Let's start by standardising rubbish collection.

BBbevan Fri 19-Apr-19 05:31:22

I do all I can in my little world. Try not to buy anything in plastic. Recycle as much as I can etc. But the countries like America, China and India go on regardless. I suppose every little counts and one day everyone will 'get the message'

Gonegirl Thu 18-Apr-19 22:03:52

I hope so too mosaicwarts.

Those poor bats in Australia too. So sad.

Jomarie Thu 18-Apr-19 22:00:04

I'm optimistic - the work done in schools (infant/juniors) is incredible - regarding educating the young about the natural world. I have no doubt those lessons will be held dear for many years to come
I also think the protests currently being held in London and other cities will reinforce the message to the youngsters (who are the future) and will see that older people (some very old) are prepared to stand up and, call me a 'cock-eyed optimist' if you like but it's better than being a 'doom-monger'. I have faith in that the lessons from the older ones (with the back up of social media/technology, etc.) will be heard, listened to and acted upon by the next generation with the encouragement of the rest of us.

mosaicwarts Thu 18-Apr-19 21:09:11

Just off to watch it now. Each and every one of us can do something small, if millions of us increase our efforts we may have an effect. The saddest thing I have ever seen was the walruses plunging from the cliffs to their deaths because the ice they rely upon has now gone.

My contribution is trying to be as plastic free as possible by having my bags with me and buying loose fruit and veg. We all have refillable water bottles and coffee cups when we travel. I don't drive unless I really have to, and I am conscious of everything I buy and try to be as eco friendly and ethical as possible.

My main contribution is a daily litter pick at our beach. My friend's grandson was in the sea today, he came out with a plastic bag for me - the young are sorrowfully very aware of what is happening. Will there still be walruses when he's older, I do hope so.

aggie Thu 18-Apr-19 21:07:46

I Can't watch it , I am trying to stop myself sliding into sadness , I recycle , turn off the heating reuse and patch and mend

grannyqueenie Thu 18-Apr-19 20:58:51

Just about to tune in now, climate change is something we can no longer afford to ignore...I speak to myself here as much as anyone else

Gonegirl Thu 18-Apr-19 17:20:28

Will you be watching? www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-47972979/sir-david-attenborough-presents-climate-change-the-facts

We all have so much respect for him because of his amazing wildlife programmes. His views must be worth listening to.