Science/nature/environment

Greta Thunberg on the environment and being on the Autism spectrum

(199 Posts)
Gonegirl Tue 23-Apr-19 17:31:49

interesting listen if you missed it this morning

Sparklefizz Wed 24-Apr-19 09:55:52

Thanks for that cheery thought, Joelsnan grin

Gonegirl Wed 24-Apr-19 10:00:09

"Greta seems to have worried herself ill..." (from Joelsnan)

She doesn't look ill. She looks like a young lady who is admirably on top of her game.

She became depressed over wild creatures dying through human action. She thought hard about it. She decided to act. Her actions have taken off. Many people are now backing her. The ones with power are being forced to listen.

As for having to travel round Europe by train in her school holidays, would you rather she was sitting at home playing on screens? (Much like we are doing now)

"...and a little child shall lead them".

Gonegirl Wed 24-Apr-19 10:00:49

No need to invite it closer though joelsnan.

Joelsnan Wed 24-Apr-19 10:08:49

Gonegirl
Eh?

Alexa Wed 24-Apr-19 10:16:46

Joelsnan, true albeit with a measure of fatalism.

icanhandthemback Wed 24-Apr-19 10:26:35

Greta obviously has a fantastic mind and forceful drive which are admirable traits in everybody. However, she is still only 11 years old which is a difficult time for most young ladies of her age as she heads towards puberty so I hope that her message is combined with strong safeguarding.

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 10:29:40

From an article in the NYT:

“She remains tiny for her age, a consequence of barely eating during her struggle with depression. She doesn’t laugh much, or make small talk.

Or, as she puts it, “I only say what’s necessary.”

She prefers the company of adults and animals to children of her own age. Bullying and depression have taken a toll.

Getting through the rough patch took months. Greta said what made her feel better was to be heard, first by her parents. She goaded them to stop eating meat. Then she goaded them to become vegan, which they also did.”

Her mindset is tunnel vision and she seems a very determined young lady. I hope her mental health doesn’t suffer with all this travelling and attention.

Theoddbird Wed 24-Apr-19 10:29:59

I have been telling people for a while to remember her name. She will not sit down. She is amazing.

FarNorth Wed 24-Apr-19 10:30:01

Joelsnan, death of the planet, or of humanity on the planet, may be inevitable just as our own individual deaths are inevitable.
Even if that is so, there's no need to recklessly hasten the process.

Joelsnan Wed 24-Apr-19 10:30:51

Gonegirl
So you are happy for this naive girl to be exploited to suit your agenda.
I applaud the fact the fact that she had her friday strikes. I like the way children mimicked her, their message is important
I do not like how she is portrayed as a deity.
I do think she should have spent her holidays playing games on her iPad, or mixed with children her own aged rather than being pushed in front of the pope and politicians giving radio and tv interviews. Repeating the same script. I do not think she should have travelled by train. Skype is a valuable tool. Even trains leave a carbon footprint.

Theoddbird Wed 24-Apr-19 10:31:50

Icanhandthemback....she is 16 not 11

Marjgran Wed 24-Apr-19 10:35:25

I am horrified by some of these posts! We are all complacent about the changes which are coming. Challenged we should be meeting. Because others have spoken doesn’t dilute her message. She is speaking for the young who will inherit the effects of our greed and mess. Yes, I fear for her but I also applaud her. Sometimes it takes a quirk or difference to take a different road. All inspirers are at risk and all may have quirks. Good for Greta, I say. And what about those who help her? Good for them, too! If we finally listen ...

Sarell10 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:35:38

I think she and those like her are magnificent.
So she has aspergers........maybe there is nothing "wrong" with people who are seen as less than the norm. Maybe they are more than the norm and the norm just cant currently get their heads around it.
Much love

Sarell10 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:36:27

Here here

Joelsnan Wed 24-Apr-19 10:37:28

FarNorth
I know it was a bit of a morbid and fantastical though, but who knows. Maybe this is all part of the process like Canute trying to turn back the tide. It may be inevitable and unstoppable.
I hope not.

icanhandthemback
She is 16years old.

wilygran Wed 24-Apr-19 10:38:49

It’s interesting that it’s gransnet that has picked up on concerns of exploitation more than some other social media forums.
I’ve been very uneasy about the way she’s presented & promoted from the start. I’m cynical about the way she’s always made to look younger than her age and as though she comes from a purer simpler rural age. Even if it is her own choice, somebody behind the scenes is making effective promotional use of this.
I think of adolescent girls in other fields being ruthlessly used to gain promotional advantage & profit . The publicity world is a merciless monster that preys on appealing young women.

Alexa Wed 24-Apr-19 10:41:14

Greta Thunsberg is indeed a frail young woman as are so many others of the same age and sex. Greta's message is true and she is a brave one of her age and sex

Joelsnan Wed 24-Apr-19 10:48:11

It suprises me to see that some on this thread are apparently unaware of the strides made by both science and certain governments (and older people) to reduced the impact humanity is having on this Earth.
I would imagine some scientists are feeling a bit miffed that their efforts to date are being ignored.
No scientist or inventor will have purposely set out to kill the planet and no person being sold any item now will have purposely bought or use it for that purpose, though some seem to think that.

Tora1 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:48:42

My granny used to say everyday was a school day. I learn new things everyday and am blessed that for the most part I can use my ability to comprehend and separate information from misinformation.
To coin a phrase Fake News
Our politicians are not above lying and manipulating information to suit their own ends. The timing of all the climate protests is not coincidental to some equally big issues dare I mention Brexit!
I have to laugh at the protesters with their dyed hair and plastic bottles and make shift accommodation carelessly discarded adding to an accumulation of waste Not to mention Emma Thomson and her first class flights
I could go on but I will close with the fact that this young girl is honest in her determination to make us aware that we need to stop abusing our planet and each other
My son has autism, the spectrum is wide and varied. Some are better able to communicate than others. A fierce affinity to protect is part of their DNA
Please don't see her disability celebrate her uniqueness her selfless determination to make us start caring about the world we live in
I wish her every success because as we pay it lip service she's doing the work of an adult

Shazmo24 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:58:34

Whats she's doing is great BUT we in the UK are already doing everything to bring down carbon emissions etc
The people she should be talking to are in China & the USA who are the biggest polluters.

icanhandthemback Wed 24-Apr-19 10:59:04

Theoddbird, whoops, my mistake.

There was a young man, Lewis Mizen, who campaigned for Gun Law change after the Florida shootings and I remember thinking how articulate, driven and brilliant he was at the time. Fast forward and he now regrets his involvement to a degree because it took over his life and propelled him to a position he wasn't ready for. I worry that Greta might find the same even though I admire her message.
The fact that Greta is ASD just goes to show that neural diversity can be a good thing sometimes. Just like an NT person, no doubt there are downsides too but at least she is passionate about what she believes in.

Forgoodnesssake Wed 24-Apr-19 11:02:48

I agree she may be being manipulated

Rocknroll5me Wed 24-Apr-19 11:04:10

I back Greta 100%. If her atypical personality enables her to focus to a greater extent than typical then good, we all benefit from that. And it is good that she comes out as being on the spectrum. It is nothing to be ashamed of or patronized for. Chris Packham is another extremely effective example. We will get to know more about so called atypical or high- functioning autism in time it is all still relatively new. Unfortunately Aspergers name has been used since the nineties because of the work he published identifying children with a form of autism that now bears his name which he did in Vienna in the Nazi era when children diagnosed with the condition were killed. This was because Of the nazi ideology of a feeling of ‘gemut’ ; a strong feeling of belonging to the group soul. Loners or those who thought differently, were sent away to a special school which starved and killed them. It is shockingly true. His name should not be honored or memorialized in this way.

Telly Wed 24-Apr-19 11:09:39

While she may be being manipulated, when governments continue to put money/business before sustainable policy there's obviously a need for dramatic action. The shame is that there's a need in the first place. How anyone can say this country is doing all it can is beyond me. Eventually the world will chew us up and spit us out.

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:30:20

I think it's manipulative to mention/bring her medical and (past?) psychological issues to the fore when talking about climate change.
She's a person and that's enough.
No need to hail her as some wunderkind because she is 'on the spectrum' of Asergers.
It's like a wagon every other person is willing to jump on.
It's given as a reason for multiple actions and thoughts and trotted out daily somewhere.
I'm pretty sure that people who suffer migraine or tinnitus don't broadcast it as often or make as many references to those debilitating conditions.
It's almost becoming reverential.