Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Do you have hedgehogs visit your garden, app they will become extinct by 2025

(24 Posts)
bikergran Thu 16-May-19 18:56:32

Watched a programme about hedgehogs last week (forgot when its on now) wanted to catch it again.

Anyway it was saying that or little prickly creatures will become extinct by 2025.

It showed how people are cutting little holes/doors in their fencing so that they have a run and can get about.

They even sell little plastic signs, hedgehog gate or something like that.

I have bought a shallow plastic drip tray and going to put it in dd garden as we know there are hedgehogs about, it says to put stones pebbles in so that little hedgehogs don't drown and can get a drink and climb in n out.

We have tried leaving cat food out but....alas dd cats just think its their supper!! confused

PamelaJ1 Thu 16-May-19 19:08:24

I’d like a little door in my fence but can you promise that all the baby rabbits would not avail themselves of the opportunity to visit?

farview Thu 16-May-19 19:30:53

Most years we've had at least one hedgehog in the garden...I leave the area behind the wildlife pond pretty much to nature..also pile leaves&twigs up there at the back.. love hedgehogs...hope we don't lose them....

Fennel Thu 16-May-19 19:51:08

When we lived in France one winter found a hedgehog sleeping peacefully in an old blanket that I'd used to line the under stairs space.
I left her/him, don't know where it went.
Around there they were killed mostly by being run over crossing the road.

bikergran Thu 16-May-19 20:36:14

Pam not sure about that....(just don't leave them the key under the plant pot) smile

Resurgam123 Thu 16-May-19 20:44:14

I would like Brian May to bring his hedgehogs along.
He still has a lot of charm as well y

Resurgam123 Thu 16-May-19 20:46:30

Not a welly.

lemongrove Thu 16-May-19 20:56:03

2025? That’s hardly likely.
A huge one visits our garden, it’s like a football.We had one just like it about ten years ago, and it used to steal the cats food.

Flowerofthewest Thu 06-Jun-19 23:54:07

Make a feeding station by using a large lidded plastic box. Cut a 5"×5" hole on one side. Edge hole with duct tape. Place cat food (meat not fish and in jelly) inside leave plenty of water. Not mealworms as they cause deformities in hogs. To prevent cats poking paws into feed box make a tunnel either with piping or bricks.

cornergran Fri 07-Jun-19 00:01:36

We had what seemed to be a family of hedgehogs for the first three years we were here , noisy little whatsits but welcome, haven’t seen one since and no sign of hedgehog poo. No idea why as nothing has changed.

crazyH Fri 07-Jun-19 00:13:20

I wish I had hedgehogs and rabbits......we only have birds?

Ailsa43 Fri 07-Jun-19 00:42:54

Yes we've always had Hedgehogs, for as many years as I can remember and we have a family now who've grown so fast in the last few weeks. I saw them tonight just after dark out on bark covered borders under the shrubs an trees.... We have 4 shallow water trays outside for them in the borders, and when there's been no rain so no ready easy food from the dry earth , we put out hedgehog food, which sometimes they gobble up in it's entirety immediately , and other nights they leave alone.. Tonight they've drunk some water but left the pellets alone..
We'

Grannybags Fri 07-Jun-19 09:38:46

I haven't seen a hedgehog for years. We have left a gap under the fence just in case but no sign of any visitors yet

Mapleleaf Mon 24-Jun-19 21:28:12

I saw a hedgehog in my front garden on Saturday evening, which thrilled me as I haven't seen one for a few years. It was heading towards the top of the garden where my compost heap is and all the shady plants (ferns, hostas etc.)

Anja Mon 24-Jun-19 21:32:37

We have hedgehogs and hedgehog holes between many of our gardens down our avenue. We leave out hedgehog food and something eats it.

SalsaQueen Mon 24-Jun-19 22:21:22

I saw a really large hedgehog on my patio last night (it had climbed up 3 steps) so gave it some cat food (I've got a cat so have always got lots in). I'll be feeding it every night from now on.

merlotgran Mon 24-Jun-19 22:38:17

We never get them in our garden because they don't like fenland soil.

jura2 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:59:14

they need water too when weather hot and dry.
One thing that really helps them is to create corridors- their enemy is hard fencing- as they can't get in and out- so if you have such fencing, a small opening cut into the fence- if possible near vegetation, is grand. And to encourage all your neighbours to do the same.

MissAdventure Sat 10-Aug-19 15:02:38

I've not seen a hedgehog here for years, but the place was awash with them when I was a child/teen.

NanaandGrampy Sat 10-Aug-19 15:19:26

We have a regular in our garden , he met Sam the dog unexpectedly the other evening - both were horrified and agreed never to do that again .

hazel93 Sat 10-Aug-19 15:34:03

We have quite a few which we feed each evening with hedgehog mix - cat food a no go as we have cats.
I bought a hedgehog house which keeps their food dry but has never been used to hibernate probably because we back on to woodland. I feel lucky to have them plus the fact they keep the slug population down !

Grammaretto Sat 10-Aug-19 17:08:30

It doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any just because you don't see them. They are nocturnal creatures.
I found one trying to hibernate some years ago. I occasionally see them dead on the road but we have badgers nearby and I was told that badgers skin hedgehogs and eat them so it's unlikely we'd have both!

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 10-Aug-19 17:26:14

We get them regularly but we do live in the middle of no where. One's been found under some metal sheeting lying up against the shed. They like wood piles too.

Catch a few slugs. They love them.

Davidhs Sat 10-Aug-19 17:38:33

Hedgehogs have 2 main predators, in urban areas cars and in rural areas badgers. Badgers have to eat and their diet consists of worms, insects, eggs of ground nesting birds and any small animal that is slower than them. Hedgehogs are easy prey to those powerful front claws.