Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

A solution to fly tipping

(13 Posts)
Fennel Wed 07-Aug-19 09:05:06

The Mayor in one of the communes near us (when we were in France) did a similar thing. It was reported in the local paper.
They found the person's address on some of the rubbish and the council collected all the rubbish and dumped it back in the person's garden.

Sara65 Wed 07-Aug-19 08:00:03

Calendargirl

Hadn’t thought of that, you could be right

Auntieflo Wed 07-Aug-19 07:58:10

I think that the amount of 'stuff', left outside the doors of our charity shop, constitutes fly tipping.
Some people do a car boot sale, have loads left, don't want to take it all home, and dump it with us.

Calendargirl Wed 07-Aug-19 07:51:36

The dumped mattress was probably left by a man with a van who had been paid by a householder to dispose of it. The owner maybe had no means to take it to a tip, and van man charged less than the council. They then just fly tip.

Not sure if it is Grimsby or Hull, I have read that they occasionally position skips in certain areas for householders to dump large items for free. Seems a great way to encourage responsible disposal of white goods, mattresses etc. Not everyone can go to a tip, which are not always open, and this scheme appears very popular. It is probably cheaper for the councils than cleaning up fly tipping areas, and so much better for the environment.

NfkDumpling Wed 07-Aug-19 06:54:12

The status quo is usually the easiest option BradfordLass. The two men would likely lose their jobs and the council would have to go to all the trouble of advertising for someone extra to deal with all the investigations and court work. Too much effort!

BradfordLass72 Wed 07-Aug-19 03:23:42

Many years ago, in the beautiful rural area where I lived, there was a picturesque lane which was used, all the time, by fly tippers.

The Council put up a totally ineffective notice, 'No fly tipping' but as I worked for the Council at that time, I did a bit of research about motion-activated cameras with long life batteries.

I put the idea to the relevant department, saying it would be far cheaper to position one of these (there were ample sites to do so) than send out a twice-weekly truck with 2 men to clear it.

The registration numbers and even the faces of the tippers would be captured, as would they and fined the cost of clearing up the mess...because fly-tipping IS illegal here.

They declined to take up my suggestions and now, 12+ years down the track, that little beauty spot is still being polluted and they are still sending out a truck with 2 men every week.

Sara65 Tue 06-Aug-19 20:31:46

Pamela

Well I’m pretty sure there are no charges, and if it was closed, why would someone who was conscientious enough to dispose of it responsibly, just think, Oh bugger it, the tips closed, I’ll chuck it in the hedge!

PamelaJ1 Tue 06-Aug-19 19:18:14

Sara perhaps the tip was closed or they discovered there was a fee!

JackyB Tue 06-Aug-19 18:41:47

I remember a story on the radio once (many years ago because my Dad re-told me it). A man was driving through the country and saw someone fly-tipping a mattress. He put the mattress in his own car and followed the other car back home (don't know how he did this, but never mind). He then proceeded to dump the mattress on the other chap's lawn, slash it open and spread the contents about.

The fly-tipper took him to court and won the case! This really riled my Dad, but I think that slashing the mattress open and spreading the contents about was going a bit far.

So nowadays it would seem that spoiling the countryside is seen as a more serious offence, which is a step in the right direction.

midgey Tue 06-Aug-19 17:37:08

That is a good idea.

MissAdventure Tue 06-Aug-19 17:17:28

I'm very much in favour of consequences being meted out for all kinds of selfish and unkind behaviour.
Excellent idea, and its a pity it doesn't happen more.

Sara65 Tue 06-Aug-19 17:16:02

There’s a mattress in the lane leading to our house, if someone had a van to transport it there, why couldn’t they drive on another three miles and take it to the council recycling centre

I for one think it’s a good idea M0nica

M0nica Tue 06-Aug-19 16:46:06

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49248764

A Spanish man was filmed throwing a fridge in a ravine while making rude remarks about recycling. The police made him get it out of the ravine and take it to the tip. It was hard work.

Perhaps when fly tippers are identified they should be made to remove, by hand, all the rubbish they fly-tipped.