Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Are you scared, with good cause?

(15 Posts)
Gonegirl Mon 16-Sep-19 10:04:49

Not for ourselves. But for our grandchildren's future?

Brexit will come or not come. We will get past it whatever happens. Not this though. Unless governments act quickly, this is definitely coming.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 16-Sep-19 10:41:31

Yes I heard the scientist on R4.

What so annoys me is the EXPERTS having been banging on about this for years.

But what do they know?

Sod all apparently.

I didn’t quite understand one thing he said which was that he was very worried that hurricane (Gabriel?) had passed through so slowly.

I get that it will as a result do more damage, but not what is making these storms slow down.

Bridgeit Mon 16-Sep-19 10:47:44

We may (& should)manage to slow things up , but Eventually nature will have its way.

Namsnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 14:54:50

Not a bit, lots of short sighted mis information peddled to keep us from focusing on the good work currently being done.
I trust the hard working inventors who will be quietly beavering away in some forgotten lab somewhere ferreting out the ways forward!

Can I invent something, no but I know a man/woman who can,
And they will be getting my support.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Oct-19 14:56:34

No.

Daisymae Fri 11-Oct-19 15:52:21

Yes. Even now big business is hell bent on draining ever more oil out of the planet and to hell with the consequence. To expect science to pull a rabbit out of the hat just in nick of time is really putting your head in the sand. Climate change has been predicted for the last 50 years but it's only now that we can see the impact with our own eyes that any one with a moral compass feels obliged to take action. However with the decision makers it's only vested interest that counts. Maybe they are all flying off to planet B?

Scribbles Fri 11-Oct-19 16:05:39

Nope.

MiniMoon Fri 11-Oct-19 16:11:30

No I'm not scared about climate change.
I think that a lot more could be done about pollution though. It's okay to say we must recycle plastics, glass etc., but until all authorities have the facilities to do this, it remains a huge problem.
The amount of plastic in the ocean is scary though.

Namsnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 16:33:52

Don’t agree with you there Daisymae....lovely name though smile

Namsnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 16:37:40

Yes it is a lot minimoon... what I’ve yet to understand is why no one is collecting it as a resource?

It can be used as a cheap fuel to get energy, and it’s onky by product is water!

Science is fantastic....we wouldn’t be on the internet without it.
wink

Namsnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 16:38:23

Change onky to ‘only’ smile

Grannyknot Fri 11-Oct-19 19:37:53

What good will being scared do?

So, no.

M0nica Fri 11-Oct-19 20:06:46

Overdoing the scare factor just freezes people into helpless inaction, too scared to think clearly or try to plan forward.

What would be much more help would be if these famous scientists whose every doom laden forecast is leapt on by news media, were instead to talk about what has already been done, what needs still to be done and highlight the areas where research is most needed, where quickest results can be got and where research money should be concentrated.

We have just been on holiday in north Wales. There they now have three pumped storage power stations that can provide the flexible power now provided by gas-fired powerstations and which are capable of briding the gap between the base load nuclear power stations can provide. and the very erratic contribution wind makes.

Any of you heard of any of them? I knew of one, but not the other two. Then there is the tidal barrages along the south Wales coast that the government decided were too expensive(!!!!!!!!!!!), but could provide equally flexible power.

Which of these doomsayers got on television or went to press to make a fuss about this? None that I know of. Much more fun dressing in sack cloth and ashes and scaring children. Its the same with ER, why spoil a good demonstration by doing something practical or producing a workable plan to achieve their goals with out ruining the economy. Rant over!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Oct-19 20:11:40

Monica unfortunately good/positive news is not “newsworthy”

Namsnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 20:16:39

Rant away M0nica! …….I totally agree, but you put it better than I ever could have!
Too much sensationalism, and lots of jumping on the nearest bandwagon.